Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full-Face Helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:16 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Full-Face Helmet??

I bought a Shoei X-11 last year and love it. It's light, comfortable and fits my head well. Do a google and you'll see some reviews. There's a review on here under product reviews. I spent $420 or so at helmetharbor.com.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I bought a Shoei X-11 last year and love it. It's light, comfortable and fits my head well. Do a google and you'll see some reviews. There's a review on here under product reviews. I spent $420 or so at helmetharbor.com.
just checked your link =
Shoei X-Eleven Black

Our Price:[/b] $529.19
MSRP:[/b]$587.99[/b]
You Save:[/b]($58.80)
More Info [/align][/align]prices may be better by phone.... I know they are at the helmet shop,,, ask for mike.... He quotes the $420 area... [/align]

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes - Like some of these guys point-out...Shoei and Arai fit different head shapes...it is really the "footrpint" of the top of your skull if I recall correctly. One is rounder and the other more oval head shaped. You need to try them on and go with the best feel...you'll be amazed at the right "Ah HA" moment when you get the right fit. I have ridden with an Arai top-o-the line model for years...I love it...excellent venting and LIGHT. It was near $600 a few years ago when I bought my last verison. No doubt full face is the safest and really a huge benefit in the cold (where venting will save the day!). Nope, not the "badassest" looking (unless you're on your 'Busa of course) but a great way to go for highway and heavy traffic safety.

SGN

Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Main thing is try it on and make sure it will be comfortable because if it isn't comfortable you won't wear it. And whoever said you need plenty is right. I have about 8 different helmets.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 AM
capt42a
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vega Summit flip up helmet for colder weather for me, DOT shorty for warmer months.
capt42a

Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoei RF-1000 has been great for me. Had a part go bad 2x now, but its because i use the heck out of it. Just the shield preset adjuster. Doesn't affect usage.
They sent me 3 new ones no charge this last time. 5 year warranty.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM
krgs2k
Cruiser

I use a HD modular. It is a bit noisey but I feel better with the added
protection. My brother had a serious accident in November. He was
left parylized but his 3/4 with face shield saved his head frominjury.
One thing about the modular I wear is that I can hear my pipes better,
don't know why that is. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM
HogBack
Road Master

Good post and some good thoughts. IMO the modular helmets are way to heavy and are a pain on the back of the neck muscles after a day of riding just because of the weight (I have both the HJC and Nolan).

I ride with a Shoei open face because of the extra weight savings, I like the open feel, and I have a long oval head where the Shoei does not leave the red pressure spot on my forehead. I have to wear a helmet a least an hour before the problems on fit become obvious.

I do have a full face for winter and have used it in winter riding at 15 degrees.

But in the end I really enjoy my winter rides best with my open face with a bacave (spelling?) for my neck and lower face. It also will matter what bike you ride... my ride is a Road King, so I do have a windshield to protect from the wind, plus from road rocks... if a guy (gal) rides without a windshield I think a fullface is a must for touring protection. No helmet just goes not make sense for touring at 75 IMO

Good luck,

Hogback

Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the same Nolan N100E for 5 years now. I like the flip-up over full becasue it allows me to do things without taking off the helmet (talking, gassing up etc). Biggest thing is talking to someone when stopped I can flip up the face piece and carry on a normal conversation. It is my winter (and rain) helmet and it keeps me warm, so far down to 25 degrees and no problems with face or ears getting cold. I do use a balaklava to keep the air off the exposed neck. It also does a great job keeping out rain. Even though I wear a half-helmet in spring, summer & fall, I wear the Nolan in winter and rainy weather. I havebeen caught in some nasty storms and Istay dry.
I'm now looking into the Nolan N-Com helmets for the Nolan N-Com bluetooth communication units.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 AM
HogBack
Road Master

Gliderman..

I gave some thoughts in your post earlier, and wanted to give you the actuals to support my thoughts on weight. I grabbed the handy dandy scales, my Shoei open face is 2lbs 10 oz, the HJC modular is 3lbs 10 oz, the Nolan modular X-lite is a wopping 4 lbs 1 oz. IMO after wearing your shorty you will very unhappy with a modular. I would guess your shorty is about 2lbs 3oz.

My Shoei open face at 2lbs 10oz may not be the lightest but after 41 years of riding I find that the Shoei /Arai helmets carry the weight lower where some cheaper lines that weigh less actually feel heavier as the weight is "top heavy" and the higher weight on the top (to get the D.O.T penetration rating), to me feels heavier than a well designed Shoei or Arai. HJC also makes a good helmet.

Also, IMO I would never go with a D.O.T rating only, make sure it is SNELL rated helmet.

Chow,

Hogback

Quick Reply: Full-Face Helmet??