Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart versus Vance & Hines

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014 | 06:14 PM
destination highway
Road Master

hd rolling, I have poor quality chrome on my Rinehart mufflers also. Swirls and spider webbing.. not as bad as yours but still plenty bad for my personal taste. And my Power Duals head pipe still looks like new.
I noticed this swirling begin just a couple months after installation. Should have bitched and took them back. Prob too late now as they will be 2 years old in July.

Old 02-03-2014 | 06:21 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain

I have V&H power duals and 4" Rineharts. No chrome problems. Like the sound and the look. V&H slip on's aren't as loud. I have heard of problems with their end pieces flaking . Also have less heat then I had with my 1999 Ultra, true duals and 3 1/2" Rineharts. It's a Harley your going to have some heat.

Old 02-03-2014 | 08:22 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by destination highway
hd rolling, I have poor quality chrome on my Rinehart mufflers also. Swirls and spider webbing.. not as bad as yours but still plenty bad for my personal taste. And my Power Duals head pipe still looks like new.
I noticed this swirling begin just a couple months after installation. Should have bitched and took them back. Prob too late now as they will be 2 years old in July.
That's the thing with these is that I'm still under the 18 month warranty, when I called they said it would not be covered. Maybe I wasn't getting my point across on how bad the chrome was, Maybe with some pics they'll rethink there answer?

If someone can tell me how a tuning issue would have caused this I'm all ears, my 120R runs cooler than when it was a stock 96" with the cat. And the same thing happened on my last Rinehart extreme system that was only running the 96" with cams, but just the heat shields not the mufflers.

I'm sure every company has a few here and there, not happy that my last two were Rinehart and they both had this happen. And my last bike with V&H and this bike with the heat shield show no signs of this at all.

Old 02-03-2014 | 08:45 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

I'm with you Rolling that doesn't look like a tuning issue to me. Looks like soft chrome that was polished with a dirt filled rag. Not saying that's what you did, just what it reminds me of. I think you got a bad set for sure! They have a new Facebook page, maybe you post a pic there and ask for assistance to see if they will good will them in a high visible space. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2014 | 11:48 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Webo
I'm with you Rolling that doesn't look like a tuning issue to me. Looks like soft chrome that was polished with a dirt filled rag. Not saying that's what you did, just what it reminds me of. I think you got a bad set for sure! They have a new Facebook page, maybe you post a pic there and ask for assistance to see if they will good will them in a high visible space. Good luck.
Good tip, thanks! With these if you move the light the swirls move with it, I would think scratches from a dirty rag would be set in one spot? Possible though I guess, I do buy the big bags of micro cloth from sams club to clean and after they get to bad they get washed or thrown away. Maybe its the s1000 polish I use, none of the other chrome on the bike seems to be affected?