Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Baja38ss
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on factory alarm

First harley 08 SG so reading owners manual and service manual. Anyway I noticed it looks like I have the hands free security module on the bike. But there is no hands free antenna connected nor do I see another port for one. I'am I wrong in thinking this antenna goes hand in hand with the key fob.
I picked a fob up at the dealer and I understand it has to be programmed but was not sure if I'm missing something. Appreciate any help.

Attached Thumbnails Question on factory alarm-photo.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The antena should be taped/velcroed a long the left top frame tubes if its there. Right by the seat.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That should be all there is to the security system to work with the fob once programmed. You can add the siren to the security system which will chirp when arming and disarming as well as when set off. This piece will also let you get the remote pager and see when the alarm is going off incase you cant hear the siren.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Baja38ss
Cruiser

I'll have to look on frame for it but doesn't the antenna plug into the hands free security module pic. posted?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

my security antenna is shoved into the crevices in front of the battery. if you don't have a fob programmed for the bike, are you able to start the bike without a fob present, without entering your pin #? if so, then I question if you have a security module.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:28 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

How is it that you bought a bike with the security system on it yet you didn't get a fob from whomever you purchased the bike from? Weird.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So we're talking apples to apples, there are 3 distinct parts to what people refer to as an "alarm" on HD's:

1) Factory installed or optional is the "Smart Security System". This can be purchased if you did not get the factory security system and replaces the "TSM" (no 'security') with a TSSM (with 'security'). This should be plug and play and comes with a FOB. This makes no sound. It is a passive "security" (NOT ALARM) system. There is no external antennae.

2) Optionally installed "Smart Siren II Security System". Optionally installed on bikes; may be standard on CVO's? This has a siren, makes noise, and has an external antannea just in case you want to add the next item . . .

3) "Pager Receiver" - There is a battery model and a rechargable model. This is why item #2 has an external antennae. It communicates with the pager. This lets you know if your "security system" has been activated while you're away from your bike.

So . . . if you have no external antennae (you'd see it under your side cover), you have the "Smart Security" system (no sound), and NOT an ALARM (sound). Until you are clear about what you have, you'll get a million different answers and still be confused.

Oddly enough, if you go to the HD website, look up your bike, and look under the "Security" section you'll see all three components, and if you look at each component, you can actually see the installation instructions, and you could get a good idea of what's wrong on your own . . . . .

Last edited by SoCalMike; 01-31-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

...and for anyone finding this who wants a siren, check out the diy mods sticky for the $6 radio shack siren

mike

Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
So we're talking apples to apples, there are 3 distinct parts to what people refer to as an "alarm" on HD's:

1) Factory installed or optional is the "Smart Security System". This can be purchased if you did not get the factory security system and replaces the "TSM" (no 'security') with a TSSM (with 'security'). This should be plug and play and comes with a FOB. This makes no sound. It is a passive "security" (NOT ALARM) system. There is no external antennae.

It depends on the Kit/year. for 08, I have smart security system, I do not have a siren or smart pager. I have a 2-3 inch long rectangle thingy under my seat with a wire connected to it (not the accessory plug). I asked svc tech at the dealer "what's this?" he said "your security, it's the receiver for the fob" (I call that an antenna). my bike has factory installed security, not dealer installed. 68200 07A

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04082.pdf

the instructions for the smart security system (not siren, not pager) shows an antenna - it is item 3 on the parts list.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 01-31-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Baja38ss
Cruiser

Thanks for the info....I'm pretty sure I have the "Smart Security System". I just did not receive a fob from the guy I bought it from. SoCalMike explanation of the systems really helped out. Just need to get the fob programmed.

Quick Reply: Question on factory alarm