Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Leather Saddle bag fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Radical
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Leather Saddle bag fix

My left saddle bag started to look warped so I asked a guy who knows leather to see if he could fix it. He said all you need to do is treat it and it will come back into shape. You put moisture back into the leather through the HD leather treatment and let it sit in a warm place overnight. Checked thismorning and couldn't believe it was almost back to normal....applied another coat of treatment and checked this afternoon and once again back to a nice fit. Thought I'd pass this on for those who say their bags have come out of shape. Damn I hope I not hullicinating.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM
harpoon
Cruiser
Default RE: Road King Leather Saddle bag fix

Radical, Thanks for sharing this cool information. did he mention at all how these bags should be washed? proir using the treatment?

thanks

harpoon

Old 03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Doc Bailey's on my bags. Before I apply the Doc Bailey's I just use a damp cloth to get all the surface grit off them, let them dry and apply the Doc Bailey's. I let the Doc Bailey's sit overnight and then I just buff the bags with a clean cloth. I do this about4 times a year and they look like new.

ORIGINAL: harpoon

Radical, Thanks for sharing this cool information. did he mention at all how these bags should be washed? proir using the treatment?

thanks

harpoon

Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Radical
Tourer

thanks

harpoon
He said never and he meant never use Saddle Soap...he sent me to this site: http://www.autogeek.net/levica.htmland told me to read up on the topic using the"No Saddle Soap Please" button. Some good information here and products although he thought the HD dressing was as good as any.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
harpoon
Cruiser

That is funny that you mention the saddle soap Radical. I spent many hours yesterday reading in the forums about cleaning/washing saddle bags and soo many people mentioned using saddle soap.
So I googled it to see exactly what it was and the first site I went to said " never never use saddle soap on leather" so then i was really confused.. hahaha

So what I am gathering is just to wipe them down with a wet rag during the weekly bike wash ( taking them off of course) and to treat them with the stuff harley sells or some other like Doc Baileys a few times a year.. I am guessing that washing them with soap and water is a bad idea??

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's what I do. I wash my bike about once a month and just wipe the bags down with a damp cloth when they're off the bike. Doc Bailey'swill waterproof your bags also. If you use it, make sure to rub it into all the seams to make sure they're waterproofed.

So what I am gathering is just to wipe them down with a wet rag during the weekly bike wash ( taking them off of course) and to treat them with the stuff harley sells or some other like Doc Baileys a few times a year.. I am guessing that washing them with soap and water is a bad idea??

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
harpoon
Cruiser

Awesome Petemac, this was great info. now I am on the right page with these bags..

thanks alot to both of you

Harpoon