Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for guys with 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014 | 06:02 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior
Default Question for guys with 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars

I've got some questions for you guys that have installed 12" Yaffe Monkey bars on your 14 Touring bike. I'm wanting to install a set of the 12" Monkey Bars with black braided brake and clutch lines with all wires internally wired. I just don't have the time to install them myself. Also,... I'm not trying to use my factory wires and lines to save money. I want the right sizes for the application with plenty of slack just like from the factory.

#1. What sizes of brake and clutch lines did you go with?

#2. What size wire extensions?

#3. What was your total cost including labor?

Old 01-26-2014 | 06:29 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I'm sorry it's been a while and I can't remember sizes of the brake and clutch lines or the wire extensions.

I can tell you most dealers quote at least 8 hours of labor for this job. I think my local HD dealer charges $85 per hour. You do the math. Perhaps a reputable indy in your area would charge less.

Old 01-26-2014 | 06:45 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

I also hear that you cant use the OEM factory heated grips with the monkey bars,.... Not sure about this or not. I've just gotta get a ballpark figure on what this is gonna cost me. Looking like im gonna need some pretty deep pockets.

Old 01-26-2014 | 06:47 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

$1200-$1400 for HD dealer to install includes them providing all parts.

Old 01-26-2014 | 07:11 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmbear328
I've got some questions for you guys that have installed 12" Yaffe Monkey bars on your 14 Touring bike. I'm wanting to install a set of the 12" Monkey Bars with black braided brake and clutch lines with all wires internally wired. I just don't have the time to install them myself. Also,... I'm not trying to use my factory wires and lines to save money. I want the right sizes for the application with plenty of slack just like from the factory. #1. What sizes of brake and clutch lines did you go with? #2. What size wire extensions? #3. What was your total cost including labor?
#1: plus 6" on the brake and clutch

#2: you really don't need extensions, there's plenty in there, but 6" extension will give you all you need. You won't need them until AFTER you pull the wires through the bars

#3: I installed myself, really was not hard at all....... Just take your time, and use a ton of lubricant. I used electricians lube to push/pull the wires through. I used boot laces as my pulling cord and a **** ton of electrical tape.

As far as if you're going to use the heated grips, I cut that big green plug out and soldered and heat shrieked the wires and pulled it through, no biggie. Don't be intimidated by the clutch or brake cables either, it's easy, and you'll feel like a dummy once you're don't wondering if you COULD have done it or not!

PM me if you need any pointers...... I'll do my best to lay it out for you

Old 01-26-2014 | 07:25 PM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser

I extended the switch harness cables but the throttle, brake and clutch cables were fine. The brake and clutch weren't in an awkward position at all. Seems moco put enough slack in there.

Here is where I got the wireing extension. http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...kits_2011.html
Purchased: NHCX-J08

Last edited by ThisIsCrazy; 01-26-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-26-2014 | 08:07 PM
Bgill
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmbear328
I've got some questions for you guys that have installed 12" Yaffe Monkey bars on your 14 Touring bike. I'm wanting to install a set of the 12" Monkey Bars with black braided brake and clutch lines with all wires internally wired. I just don't have the time to install them myself. Also,... I'm not trying to use my factory wires and lines to save money. I want the right sizes for the application with plenty of slack just like from the factory.

#1. What sizes of brake and clutch lines did you go with? Yaffe bars measure out two inches more then the stated height, that said his 12's measure 14". I went +8" and it was perfect.

#2. What size wire extensions? Namz +8"

#3. What was your total cost including labor?
~$900.00

Also, I'd recommend you take a look at the bars by Vindikta as an option, better pricing, 1.5" tubing. can be ordered to take heated grips, most sizes in stock and if not 2 to 3 weeks wait tops.

www.vindikta.com

Old 01-26-2014 | 08:18 PM
nsnorgrass
Cruiser

I did not need any extended brake or clutch lines. I did extend the wiring for the hand controls.

Old 01-26-2014 | 10:04 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

I'm gonna call my dealer in the morning and get a quote. I just don't have the time to do it myself right now.

Old 01-27-2014 | 06:03 AM
BK-DE1
Advanced

My local dealer told me 10-15 hours of labor....."about $1500.00 to start"

Quick Reply: Question for guys with 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars