Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for guys with 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014 | 06:05 AM
BK-DE1
Advanced

Originally Posted by nsnorgrass
I did not need any extended brake or clutch lines. I did extend the wiring for the hand controls.
Man, your bike is so nice !!!! You have any more pic.'s I want to get some apes, but was told I'd need extended lines AND cables ? My cables look too long now (I think they're called "buck horns".....well that's what I was told they are) ?

Old 01-27-2014 | 08:16 AM
chopperguytampa
Tourer

Take it to an independent. More then 1 independent shop near me quoted $250.00 That is more then reasonable. **** paying 1200-1500..Thats absurd and dealer should be ashamed at those prices.

Old 01-27-2014 | 09:56 AM
Bgill
Road Master

Originally Posted by chopperguytampa
Take it to an independent. More then 1 independent shop near me quoted $250.00 That is more then reasonable. **** paying 1200-1500..Thats absurd and dealer should be ashamed at those prices.
What they are saying with those prices is thanks but no thanks....we don't want the work.

Last edited by Bgill; 01-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2014 | 10:13 AM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

yeah I had one HD dealer quote me 12 hrs labor while another one quoted me 6 hrs labor. But, neither would agree to install anything but the Harley 12" bagger apes. I told them that I wanted the Paul Yaffee Monkey bars 12" and they stated that they don't know if they will work on 14 models with the hydraulic clutch and they don't know the length of brake and clutch lines or length of TBW extensions needed.

Does anyone know the brands of the brake line and clutch line used on the 2014 touring bikes, and maybe even the part numbers? And I assume the Yaffe Monkey Bars will work on the 2014 touring models?

Old 01-27-2014 | 11:50 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I've seen several posts on here where folks have installed on '14s. You may need to do some checking about harness info. There were some sensor changes with the 14s.

Here is what I did on my '09 streetglide.
  • I did not extend wires. No need on 12s. Just reroute the plugs under the radio. I cut out the green TBW plug and soldered the wires. For my current bike I bought an SE TBW it moves the plug and helps eliminate problems caused by pulling wires.
  • I went +4 on the brake and +6 on the clutch. I used magnum sterling chromite lines and cables. You have hydraulic clutch so I'm not sure there.
  • Cost was about $600 but I got a good deal on the bars and cables and I did the work myself. Its not easy pulling the wires on the throttle side.
Most of the dealer installs I have heard of run between $1000 and $1500.
These bars are very comfortable and very popular. You see them everywhere now. I'm about to add bars to my current bike but went with a different brand for a little different look and they are 1.5" which will make it much easier to pull wires.
Make sure you also use a set of poly riser bushings. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2014 | 12:03 PM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser

I installed the 12" Yaffe MBB on my 2014 FLHXS. They work perfectly. I didn't need to extend the clutch or break lines as there was plenty of slack in the fairing. The TBW cable was also long enough. I did get the 8" Namz extension kit which was plug-n-play.

Old 01-27-2014 | 12:47 PM
txjunebug
6th Gear

I have no idea what extension mine were. Dude that did the work ordered them from DS. I did have to buy a Harley part for the throttle, being that it's drive by wire, and just sautering (sp?) put the bike into limp mode....that being said:

I spent right at $2k for:
Yaffe 12"
Harley switch thing
Yaffe engine guard
Braided cables
Painted inner fairing
All labor

Turned out pretty sick I think.

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:22 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

Well,... I actually got an exact price quote. The parts manager spoke with the tech and the tech said that he has installed several sets of the Monkey Bars on the 14 Touring bikes. He said the brake and clutch lines will fit perfectly and that he usually extends the wire harness and adds a new throttle sensor. The total price out the door price was $1,250. I understand it's appx $700+ for installation , but it's one less headache for me. I'm having them install the 12" gloss black ones. Now I'll just be glad when Thursday gets here.

Last edited by jmbear328; 01-27-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2014 | 05:25 PM
GCSuper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jmbear328
Well,... I actually finally for an exact price quote. The parts manager spoke with the tech and the tech said that he has installed several sets of the Monkey Bars on the 14 Toyring bikes. He said the brake and clutch lines will fit perfectly and that he usually extends the wire harness and adds a new throttle sensor. The total price out the door price was $1,250. I understand it's appx $700+ for installation , but it's one less headache for me. I'm having them install the 12" gloss black ones. Now I'll just be glad when Thursday gets here.
Is your dealer Red River ?

Old 01-27-2014 | 10:18 PM
jmbear328
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GCSuper
Is your dealer Red River ?

No, it's Paris Harley Davidson

Quick Reply: Question for guys with 12" Yaffe Monkey Bars