Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to fix 08 Road King Engine Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Get used to it, and learn to like it.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

After market mounts seem sensitive to positioning and if not quite right will transfer more engine vibration into the frame. Remove the nut from the center bolt and see if the bolt will slit up and down easily. If it binds in that movement, the mount is not centered under the engine plate. If it slides easily, the mount is positioned as well as possible. If the center bolt binds, the mount will need to be moved. It is held by two bolts, one left and one right of the rubber cushion going through the mount support plate and through the frame. Loosening the two bolts will let the mounting plate slide on the frame. You will probably have to lift the voltage regulator to gain access to the tops of the mount mounting bolts. After loosening the bolts, some guys run the engine for a couple of minutes and let the vibration relocate the mounting plate, others use a bottle jack to lift the engine slightly to take the weight off the front mount so the plate can relocate itself. Then snug the mounting bolts and check the center bolt for free movement. I had to further "fine tune" mine with a punch and hammer so the center bolt would slide easily.

Once this is done and everything tightened, the transfer of vibration to the frame should be minimum. If this is still too much for your taste, you may have to sit on other similar machines to decide if you need a new mount, if they shake less than yours. Have a tach to see if the idle is around 1100?

Guys have reported installing a new mount upside down and getting lots of vibration so if that is a second mount on this machine, that is also a possibility.

Last edited by btsom; 01-25-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 PM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road my 08 to Strugis this year and in deadwood I noticed my bars shacking like crazy. They would jump up and down 1/2 inch or more. Bike has shook a little more than what I would call normal from the first day I bought it. It was awful in Strugis I new it had .007 run out on the crank but new that was not causing any problems.I don't fall for that bull **** money scheme. Got home and ordered a glide pro motor mount and was installing it and noticed the reflector on the frame down tube the back of it was melted from the front head pipe so I removed it and finished the mount install. Now at idle my hands have no movement on the bars and have to look close at my hands with the front brake applied to see them move. I think the motor mount might have helped but I think removing the reflector the pipe was hitting fixed the problem more than the mount did. Yes you guessed it my piece of **** no temkin bearing cold forged china crank non welded is still in there and running smooth as glass. You can make it a little smoother by turning it off but that don't smooth it out much over as smooth as it idles. Who knows the mount might of fixed my crank.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,799 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Did the 08's have a heat management system on the engines? Wonder if that's what's kicking in at idle and it's running on one cylinder at the lights. Just can't believe that Harley has a vibration!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Did the 08's have a heat management system on the engines? Wonder if that's what's kicking in at idle and it's running on one cylinder at the lights. Just can't believe that Harley has a vibration!
Not sure about all years but 07 and 08 you had to have the dealer to flash the ECU to have the EITMS work on them and if was flashed to work you can not turn it off and on like the later models. I have a Power Vision on my bike now and can turn it off and on like the later models. My 08 is a TBW but the 07's are a cable so even with a PV I think you got to go into quick tune to disable or enable it on the 07's.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

On my 08 Road King Classic (stock) I can turn it on or off as desired. No trip to the dealer needed. Rolling the throttle forward and holding it will toggle the cruise light green (EITMS on if I remember corectly), roll forward and hold again, it toggles off (light turns red).

Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM
roost812
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same bike, '08 RKC 96in with 17k and my steed will vibrate just slightly at a stop when I'm on the front brake, however, when I release the brake it is fairly smooth. Over all the bike is smooth. Have another Harley rider have a look at it and if that person is an agreement with you take it in to the dealer...

Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

The 96 Heritage still had the B motor,

No; The '96 Heritage had a solid mounted Evo motor. B motor didn't come out till 2000.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 AM
yeahgofigure
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for tips! I'll try the rear brake thing and if not have dealer check the motor mount and ECU. Totally get the shake thing particularly given came off my old solid mount EVO I had for 18 years (no B motors and no counter balancer then) but shaking so badly at stoplights that my eyes and everything I look at wobbles... can that be right?? RK came in perfect shape with almost fresh factory tires so it indeed sat around in someone's garage before I got it just hard to believe could have issues at only 700 miles.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Could always ride it to a shop and get a second opinion...

Quick Reply: Way to fix 08 Road King Engine Vibration?