Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Limited A/F Cleaner cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 AM
rico1969
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 Limited A/F Cleaner cover

I have searched the threads with no luck so maybe a first here. I have been a lurking reading posts since I test rode and purchased a 2014 Limited Daytona Blue . I am in Snowy Buffalo New York so delivery and riding is still a few months away. I already know what I want to do as far as headers , mufflers and tuner. I am having a hard time with the air cleaner. It seems like all the preformance ones are open filters ? I know they make covers for when it rains but that looks like a pain everytime you get bad weather.
Am I looking at this wrong ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick Rinaldo

Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,589 Likes on 2,718 Posts

Originally Posted by rico1969
I have searched the threads with no luck so maybe a first here. I have been a lurking reading posts since I test rode and purchased a 2014 Limited Daytona Blue . I am in Snowy Buffalo New York so delivery and riding is still a few months away. I already know what I want to do as far as headers , mufflers and tuner. I am having a hard time with the air cleaner. It seems like all the preformance ones are open filters ? I know they make covers for when it rains but that looks like a pain everytime you get bad weather.
Am I looking at this wrong ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick Rinaldo
Welcome to HD forums. Head over to the new members section and introduce yourself!

The open ACs dont need to be covered in the rain, so long as your filter is an oiled, reusable filter. I speak from experience, not needed.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rico1969
I have searched the threads with no luck so maybe a first here. I have been a lurking reading posts since I test rode and purchased a 2014 Limited Daytona Blue . I am in Snowy Buffalo New York so delivery and riding is still a few months away. I already know what I want to do as far as headers , mufflers and tuner. I am having a hard time with the air cleaner. It seems like all the preformance ones are open filters ? I know they make covers for when it rains but that looks like a pain everytime you get bad weather. Am I looking at this wrong ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Rick Rinaldo
The HD SE stage 1 AC can use the stock cover or a variety of non-open covers like the old football cover, the s&s ,etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The open filters that are oiled may shed some water but if your riding in pouring rain for long periods of time, the small amount of oil on the filter will break down. I had sputtering and idle issues once or twice riding in heavy rain. The open filters do look good but I went to an enclosed cover for piece of mind. If you don't ride/get caught in the rain much, the open filter cover will work fine.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Rico, before you drop cash, the 2014 air cleaner appears to have much higher flow numbers than the previous stock air cleaners- it is a real change in design.

You may be just fine using the stock air cleaner for performance- and it may also be better for breather condensate control

There are a variety of air cleaners which use(d) the 99~13 stock football cover, I use the Ness Big Sucker on my 09, which is a better value than the screaming eagle.
So a high flow without an exposed filter media.

if you desire a "looks thing" then get what you like.

It also appears that H-D has finally cleaned up the servo motor plug and wiring, so a "dick horn" air cleaner will no longer look like it has dingle berries.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-25-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Rico, before you drop cash, the 2014 air cleaner appears to have much higher flow numbers than the previous stock air cleaners- it is a real change in design.

You may be just fine using the stock air cleaner for performance.

if you desire a "looks thing" then get what you like.

It also appears that H-D has finally cleaned up the servo motor plug and wiring, so a "dick horn" air cleaner will no longer look like it has dingle berries.

Mike

I agree with the new design it works like a cold air intake anyway, it will work well with the normal upgrades.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

This kit allows you to use your stock air cleaner cover with an open air cleaner.
2014 Touring Models Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit-29400129