Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks ago today I went down....Again! Kind of long.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:37 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2 weeks ago today I went down....Again! Kind of long.

Just like the title says, down I went! I had a young girl start to pull out in front of me while I was going 35-40 & it had just started to sprinkle. Rear wheel locked up, bike started to slide right, got it to straighten out & then the bike high-sided on me. I didn't hit her car luckily, by the grace of god didn't fly into the lane of oncoming traffic and pretty much stayed in my lane when I landed. Fractured left wrist, fractured sturnom, fractured rib & fractured clavicle. Sore as hell but came out of it in pretty good shape considering.
So here's my dilemma. To put it mildly, I'm a bit gun shy of even getting back on a bike. I've come to the conclusion I need to take so break from the scoots for a bit. Twice in two years in two to many times! My 08 FLHR is NADA valued at about 14k & they want 13,600 to repair it so I suspect it's gonna be a total loss. After paying it off & getting my 3k in Accessory coverage I think I should get a cash out of around 10-11k. The reason for the total is that the frame got damaged where the right floor board mount attaches. By industry standard they can't repair it but from where I sit, I would feel safe repairing that. I was thinking about buying it back if the salvage cost is reasonable & it would keep me on a bike if I choose to get back on the horse. Right now I'm just not sure.....I should note, my dentist of the past 20 years just retired & bought himself a new bike, went down last fall hard & lost his leg & permanently messed himself up & I guess that's been weighing on my mind a bit too.
Anyhow, what would you do?

Thanks, Clay

Last edited by klaybus; 01-24-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,369 Likes on 971 Posts

Heal fast! One thing to think about..check for insurance on a reconstructed bike....I know most companies will only write a liability policy on them..They won't offer full coverage so if it gets stolen or wrecked again you would be out all the cash.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Clay. That is bad stuff. I think I would take a little time off to heal, physically, of course, but mentally also. Just my opinion, but would hold off on buying the salvage until I was sure I got my head right. Good luck man!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25 years ago I had 2 really close calls with cages and a 3rd one that I had to dump the bike, all in one week! I sold the bike and didn't ride for a couple of years, but always felt the urge. Got back on a bike and have been riding ever since. I am always on high alert while riding. You gotta do what feels right for you, but I wouldn't live your life with any regrets, your only here on this earth for so long.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Quit thinking too deeply into things and get back on 2-wheels ASAP. If your old scoot was totaled (frame)...write off and get different ride w/insurance cash. Lots of great deals on CL and getting right back on the horse will shed those fears.

My teen daughter's car was totaled by a distracted driver right before XMas (rear-ended). She was totally freaked to get back in a vehicle, but we took her out on drives and slowly but surely she adjusted. Now it's a near-term memory...one for the books.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Good advice from Iceman. I'm sure we all hope your injuries heal fast. Having broken the odd bone myself I know that as long as any necessary repairs are done well by the medics your bones will heal like magic! Concentrate on getting well, spend a little 'me' time in here, keeping yourself in tune, and we'll help you get back on the road. Having fallen off your 'horse', the best tonic is to get back on asap!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad you're okay........I'd ride again and quick. I understand the fear, having been in many combat situations that devastated me----the quicker I faced them again, the easier it was. The longer I sat and thought about it, the harder it was. PTSD is tough....and some only relate PTSD to combat, which is not true. The fear you have is PTSD----go get back on the bike bro!! Ride around the block, run some errands, ride some back roads, then graduate back slowly to full enjoyment. But if you don't, I can truly understand why. My wife would never drive me past another HD dealer ever!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the past but don't let it own you........Get off the bike ....stay on the bike what ever you do get on with it.... life is too short to to analyze every thing after an event. Move on....... Just walk lightly and focus on whats a head of you.....Peace Bro

Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think taking some time off is a good idea,,nobody has to ride a motorcycle. Two crashes in 2 years could be a warning sign....

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Its your call and all will respect that, however like others have said, you need to face your fears at some point. We all do it differently, the old adage of you just have to get back on your horse is true and just. There are so many things that can cripple us mentally if we allow them too. Heck, a simply slip in the tub can take you out. Life is a journey and a dangerous one at that, no matter what your doing. I choose to enjoy every aspect of it, I don't tempt it but enjoy the thrill it offers. Broke my leg on a scooter, double compound fracture of tibia/fibia. Full leg cast but had a buddy help me with the bike, I got on and once he put it in gear for me I took off with leg on crash bar. Road down driveway and back. Conquered my mental fear and then took the next few months to let the physical stuff heal. Wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done but I continue to ride knowing the risks. I also continue to walk amongst society knowing the risk that some dumbass with an urge to kill can take me out at any time...
Just my .02

Quick Reply: 2 weeks ago today I went down....Again! Kind of long.