Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks ago today I went down....Again! Kind of long.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been riding for 35 years, I'm pushing 60 now. Back in the day I was hell on wheels, my gal (wife now) and I would always be sure to break 100 mph at least once on every ride we took. Times change, reactions slow down, and reality sets in, no way I would ever do that now! Sometimes we need to re-evaluate the things we do, and make decisions based on more than just short term enjoyment. If you really feel unsafe on a bike then maybe a trike, or a convertible would let you stay in the wind without worry. Best of luck with your healing process!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what your heart tells you. My brother lost his left leg below the knee in 1977 in a bike wreck, took him 20 years to get back on a bike, it was in his blood. Then in 2011 another bike wreck busted the same leg up in the thigh, has a metal rod in it, but was back on the bike in 18 mths. Both times cage drives pulled out in front of him. If it's in you, you'll heal and ride again. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your accident. As many have said, only you can make this choice. Heal your body and your mind and then look inside yourself. Trust that feeling inside and go with it. Don't look back no matter what you decide, life is too short. I thank God that you are safe and are glad you have the opputunity to ride again, or not, thats your choice.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
kfstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me, I would take the cash from insurance and save it and let the wrecked bike go. If you buy the totaled bike back in the time it takes you to heal up you might have decided to not ride anymore and then your stuck trying to sell a salvaged bike. If after you heal up and you decided to that you want to ride again there are plenty of deals to be had on other bikes.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Glad you will be well. Unfortunate experience for your dentist.
I would let them total the bike and i would let them keep it.
Some people get back on another bike immediately, others go the convertible car route, others return to motorcycle riding after a stepping back period.
Consider some relaxing, healing and use the time to read some motorcycle riding books...stuff like Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. Purchase the Ride Like a Pro DVD and watch it a few times...If you return to riding make a promise to yourself (and keep it) to take an experienced motorcycle course and/or a ride like a pro course.
Education and practice help to increase confidence and sometimes help injury avoidance...Evaluate your situation in regards to protective gear. reads like you took a hard thump against the road. You are going to have some time because a sternum fracture takes a significant amount of time for the soar to go away (sleep squeezing pillow)..Wishing you good health and recovery.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I hope you heal both in body and mind fast as possible.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea,,,,I'd probably let the wrecked bike go. If you decide to saddle up again, do it on a new, or new to you, bike. Get a fresh start with no stigmas. Good luck to you. Heal soon.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Tirpitz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After being away from biking for sevral years the wife and I decided to get an 2008 Ultra Classic and starting riding again. Bought the bike in April 2008 and I, riding alone hit a deer in Oct. 2008. Bike had over 10,000 miles on it. Bike had over $12,000.00 in damage and I had 11 breaks on 7 ribs all on my left side. I have cousins who ride and I visited one of them during my healing time. He asked me if I was going to ride again and I said as quick as I get healed and the bike gets repaired. He said good, if I ride and then decide I don't want too that was one thing, but if I at least didn't try then I would always think about it the rest of my life. I started riding as soon as the bike and I got repaired and have not ever looked back. We just traded bikes in Sept. 2013 and my 08 had 65,700 miles on it. You should at least try, even if it is a rented bike to see how you really feel about it. I do ride little more careful when on roads where trees are close to the road and you do not have a clear view of the sides of the road where deer might be. Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of thoughtful replies here. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,665 Likes on 1,084 Posts

There are people who shouldn't ride. Perhaps your one of them.

Or perhaps you don't have enough training to handle the bike or situation. Lack of training can easily be addressed.

There is also practice. I don't mean just riding, I'm talking about practicing hard braking and hard maneuvering. Until it's comfortable to you.

There is also diligence. When you ride do you constantly anticipate and have escape routes? Do you figure other drivers see you, or are you watching cues, like that space between the top of the tire and the fender?

Quick Reply: 2 weeks ago today I went down....Again! Kind of long.