Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with rear blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 PM
svr78vette
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rear blinker

Where do I start. I have a 2010 street glide. I tore the bike apart for powdercoat, 23 front wheel and bars. I cut the wires to coat the rear light assembly. When I put it back together I thought I would go with led lights. All the lights work great except the left rear. At first nothing would work and figured out the LED was bad. So I tried the other light and only the running light works. No brake light or blinker. So I read a bunch of forums and checked the connections. Once I plugged the light back in, the brake light stays on. I have no clue what to check next. Please help. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:08 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharing my recent experience. May help or I may just be filling page space. I purchased a set of rear LEDs from Custom Dynamics at their booth during a rally. Installed them and all was good for a couple weeks. Riding one day, wife told me running light was not working, but brake was fine. I contacted Custom Dynamics explaining the issue. They asked if I had dielectric grease in the socket and I explained " yes". They told me the grease may limit voltage needed to power the light. I was skeptical as the bulb would not work in either socket, nor the other two bikes I tried it on. Anyway, I cleaned the bulb and socket, reinstall the light and it worked, but only temporarily. Custom Dynamics ended up replacing the light and all has been good since. I did notice installing these lights that several times I was able to install them and they were not oriented properly, but still seated. This would cause my brake light to come and stay on all they time.

Hope this long, rambling post will offer you a couple things to try. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

My first thought is to put back on the original lights and see if they all work properly. If not then the problem probably lies in the cut wires you mention. I'm not familiar with the recent bikes, but on older ones the flasher unit won't work properly with LEDs because they are very low power and the unit thinks the bulb has failed. Hopefully someone can comment on that. I used a Badlands module to correct that with my own LED blinkers.