Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a down side to the touring suspension or steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is there a down side to the touring suspension or steering?

Be impressed.

Be VERY impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbrBy...ed&search=

Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM
thumper05
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went from a 800 zuki marauder 800 to a 05 ultra and will never look back

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading all this good stuff about these great bikes, you'd think there is no downside. Well there IS!! Actually at least two, (1) they're expensive and (2) the expenses never end! Go ride one, get hooked so that I can say ,"I told you so"

Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
apco25guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to highjack the thread, but for those who have difficulties manuvering @ slow speeds need to watch the "Ride like a Pro DVD series". The road king is superior in handling all types of traffic, manuvers, etc.

I love how much control I have on my FLHRC. While other HDs are fun, IMHO my road king out performs in so many ways. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
MrChet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PlanoRider
So I will ask a somewhat different question. This forum has the bagger folks in it so I want to know what’s bad about a bagger. Specifically the Road King?
The bad parts of a RK is no radio and the handlebars. Other than that it's the heat that pours off the exhaust and cooks your inner right thigh. You won't be deemed as cool by the American Chopper viewers since touring bikes are considered old man’s bikes. But even my nephew has come around from no way no how a crotch rocket is the only way to go to him saying yesterday he should have ridden the RK instead of the Softail because he forgot his goggles and the windshield is nice. Now that I've converted him you'd be hard pressed to get him back on a crotch rocket for longer than a half hour.

Seems to be universally accepted fact that the touring suspension is superior on the open highway. But what about around town?? Is there a steering limitation that makes the Road King a bad choice if most of your riding is going to be around town and not very much on the highway???
As for steering limitations you can only make 18 foot circles compared to 24 on the FB or 16 on a crotch rocket.
Worst thing about the suspension is that you can't do stoppies!!![sm=loser.gif]

Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Baggers are great. They are bikes that can do it all....

My 1998 FLHTCUI gets 53-54mpg....my other bikes and previous bikes have never gotten that good. It out handles the Dynas, softails, and Sportsters even with extra weight. I can carry all the stuff I want to and then some! The Electra Glide does however develop the wallow at 70+mph...but then again, I probably should not be riding that fast anyways. Of the Road Glides that I have ridden...they do not seem to have that wallow. I believe it is because the fairing is much new(frame mounted)and designed from the early eighty's while the Electra Glide fairing was designed since the sixties I believe and is fork mounted.

What I have noticed...the side stand will drag before anything else drags. With the lowers on, the wallowing seems to go away.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:07 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dare say my Ultra feels lighter and handles better than my Dyna

"I swear ta god it does"

Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to demonstrate what baggers are capable of with some training.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11401/94C0F18688AE4CCC8FE2C7C4A9A91897.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11401/F00330EE315847DFAA85E0F34C59B576.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

First off, I stay away from towns because of the traffic lights.Other than that,I have riden all kinds of bikes,and really like the way my RK handles all the time.It is real good with a lot more power than stock,and a few tweaks here and there.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will agree with what everyone else has said about how nimble these big bikes are. I rode sport bikes for years, and thought the EG would handle like a bus. It doesn't, it handles very well. It does have a downside though, the wallow mentioned by some others can actuallyget pretty serious. A sharp bump that compresses the rear suspension in the middle of a sweeping turnwill induce a wobble that can be quite a handful. I've experienced it twice. The bike will settle after 3 or 4 oscillations, but you'll use up a lot of road in the meantime. The tru-track and the Ride-str8 are supposed to solve this, but I've not tried either one.

Quick Reply: Is there a down side to the touring suspension or steering?