Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New tapping sound

I have a new tapping sound at idle. The sound is regular with the RPM of the engine but occurs inconsistantly. For example, I left from work with no noise, but when I got home, the tapping was there and didn't go away. To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I had my wife listen, and she noticed it immediately. Any guesses? The bike seems to operate fine - shifts normal, throttle response is normal, no excessive vibration.

I thought it was a lifter that hadn't pumped back up because I first heard it in the morning in the cold, but I'm not sure now that I hear it when the bike is at operating temps. Maybe a lifter going bad?

I'm going to try to get it looked at soon at the local dealer, but I'm afraid it won't make the noise while they have it since it is inconsistant.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

I think you're onto something with the lifter idea...sounds like one to me, don't delay too long on replacing it, when it grenades, it puts all sorts of stuff into that engine...if you have an engine with the early spring loaded cam chain followers, it's a good time to upgrade to either gears or the later hydraulic setup, as well as maybe cams and for certain, adjustable pushrods...that last is a matter of personal opinion, many will poo poo that for their own reasons, I prefer mine adjustable...