Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerVision Autotune questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PowerVision Autotune questions

I posted this in the tech forum but thought I might get more responses here. I recently installed a new Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Stage 1 AC and a PowerVision running the narrowband sensors on my 2012 FLHTK. I've done a few Autotunes and my bike seems to be running great. A couple of observations though and hopefully someone here can clarify for me.
1. The map provided by Fuelmoto has changed considerably after a few tuning runs. I would have thought that my simple stage 1 would have been pretty dialed in to begin with.
2. I've done the "compare" using WinPV and only the VE tables are changing. Should anything else be? Since there are still changes taking place, should I continue to do Autotunes or is doing a handful of runs sufficient?
3. Also looking at some of the other stuff, the AFR chart is basically at 14.4 across the board. It came set up this way...I thought it was supposed to be set at 14.6.
2. My MPG is down a bit from stock. Is that normal? I was getting about 45 and now I'm closer to 40.

I'm not complaining about any of this as I really didn't know what to expect. I realize that I may be able to do better with wideband sensors and/or letting a professional tune it. However, the bike runs great and I feel more power and it sounds different (better). I'm just wondering if my results are in line with what should be expected with Autotune Basic.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Your Auto Tune will change slightly depending on Atmospheric conditions, answering why each time you run one its a bit different. It will also be different than what Fuel Moto provided due to you running stock mufflers vs Fuel Moto sets up the maps using a bike running dyno tuned jackpots.
Yes you will see a bit of fuel variation as well for your adding more fuel due the increased air.. Fuel/Air ratio..
You can send your maps to Jamie at Fuel Moto and have him look at them, he can if you wish set one up to give you back your fuel economy, load it when your looking for great fuel, load the other when your looking for power.

Fuel Moto is a great resource for any and all of your questions.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:20 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=Hausguy;12217463]I posted this in the tech forum but thought I might get more responses here. I recently installed a new Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Stage 1 AC and a PowerVision running the narrowband sensors on my 2012 FLHTK. I've done a few Autotunes and my bike seems to be running great. A couple of observations though and hopefully someone here can clarify for me.
1. The map provided by Fuelmoto has changed considerably after a few tuning runs. I would have thought that my simple stage 1 would have been pretty dialed in to begin with.
2. I've done the "compare" using WinPV and only the VE tables are changing. Should anything els

I have a PV on my 12 CVO. I had it tuned on a dyno with wide band sensors and then developed a alternative map map for the narrow band sensors

Both maps work great and I use them both for different situations. for the dyno map I run it without the narrow band sensors connected and at temps above 75 degrees. thus provides for a cooler engine and cuts down on ping. my alternative map I run at temps below 75 with the narrow band sensors hooked up. The engine performance is consistent but get improved fuel economy due to a higher air fuel ratio. my wide band map runs about 13.5 and the narrow band about 14.4. my wide band map mpg is around 35. narrow band map around 42

The primary difference I have found is heat reduction when dictated by weather. Performance is similar however the wide band map gets to Max quicker than the narrow band

My thoughts

Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

Thx guys. I should also mention that my MPG was based on about 1/2 tank so maybe I should give it a little time to get some real numbers. The next week or so look pretty good for riding.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you want stock mpg, then put it back to stock.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't speak for the MAP's you are using, but more fuel to richen any motor will equal less mpg's. It's a trade off. There is really no way to increase performance without using at least a little more fuel. So on a 6 gallon tank you are talking a difference of roughly 30 miles or so...sounds like a good trade off if it's running good.

Last edited by mwegryn; 01-19-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Auto tune will not change your AF ratio table, that is changed manually. The 14.6 would be closer to the stock AF ratio with is on the lean side but will give you better MPG. The 14.4 is a little richer which will allow the bike to run cooler but will sacrifice MPG. I'm in Texas when our summers a pretty damn hot and run my AF ratio closer to 14.1 so the bike will run cooler and allow for a little more timming. This effects my MPG of course and I usually average around 38mpg. I would rather the bike run cooler with a little more timming to make a little more power than have the 40+ MPG. And yes the VE tables will always change even if the bike is perfectly tuned,,one it will account for the temp and humidity. And second if all those were the same and you kept auto tuning you would get into a Ping pong affect so to speak. Where it will make changes one way ever so slightly and the next time it would make slight changes the other way.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

"Autotune" only changes the VEs, nothing else. Jamie's maps are very good, but every bike is different....Don't worry about the changes.

My gas mileage got better after the tune...

Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
"Autotune" only changes the VEs, nothing else. Jamie's maps are very good, but every bike is different....Don't worry about the changes.

My gas mileage got better after the tune...
Better than stock? Somehow I ain't believing that.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If you want stock mpg, then put it back to stock.
I don't think I said I wanted stock MPG.

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback. Like I said, I'm happy with the way it's running and was just wondering what to expect.

Quick Reply: PowerVision Autotune questions