Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerVision Autotune questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
GNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Rinehart 2 into 1 and Fuel moto a/c as soon as I got my bike home- bought it with 32k on it. Added Power Vision with one of F/M dowloads and the bike ran good, but my mpg went to 31. Ran an auto tune and it went to 36. The bike runs alright with this map but even on long rides I can't do better than 36. my old RK with cams could get 38-40 on the hwy. Any suggestions?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Thx guys. I should also mention that my MPG was based on about 1/2 tank so maybe I should give it a little time to get some real numbers. The next week or so look pretty good for riding.
Go Seahawks

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ALUCARD19
Go Seahawks
Right on!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I posted this in the tech forum but thought I might get more responses here. I recently installed a new Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Stage 1 AC and a PowerVision running the narrowband sensors on my 2012 FLHTK. I've done a few Autotunes and my bike seems to be running great. A couple of observations though and hopefully someone here can clarify for me.
1. The map provided by Fuelmoto has changed considerably after a few tuning runs. I would have thought that my simple stage 1 would have been pretty dialed in to begin with.

wrong. what FM or DJ provides is a base starting calibration. You run the tunes to dial it in to your build/bike.

2. I've done the "compare" using WinPV and only the VE tables are changing. Should anything else be? Since there are still changes taking place, should I continue to do Autotunes or is doing a handful of runs sufficient?

you keep tuning until your VE tables are changing at less than 5%

3. Also looking at some of the other stuff, the AFR chart is basically at 14.4 across the board. It came set up this way...I thought it was supposed to be set at 14.6.

again, it's a base calibration. You can dial it in fairly close by using the street tuning method but for the best tune, an experienced dyno is you ticket.

2. My MPG is down a bit from stock. Is that normal? I was getting about 45 and now I'm closer to 40.

it will vary especially for the first few tanks of fuel you run through it. As with any high-performance upgrades though, your mileage will vary a bit from stock but you should be able to get it back to stock or even sometimes better with a proper dyno tune.

I'm not complaining about any of this as I really didn't know what to expect. I realize that I may be able to do better with wideband sensors and/or letting a professional tune it. However, the bike runs great and I feel more power and it sounds different (better). I'm just wondering if my results are in line with what should be expected with Autotune Basic.

yes they are. Keep tuning it until you have less than 5% changes in the VE tables and then call it a day.

Thanks.
see red

Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Hausguy
Road Master

Thanks, I didn't know about the 5% rule and that makes sense.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,163 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I posted this in the tech forum but thought I might get more responses here. I recently installed a new Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Stage 1 AC and a PowerVision running the narrowband sensors on my 2012 FLHTK. I've done a few Autotunes and my bike seems to be running great. A couple of observations though and hopefully someone here can clarify for me.
1. The map provided by Fuelmoto has changed considerably after a few tuning runs. I would have thought that my simple stage 1 would have been pretty dialed in to begin with.
2. I've done the "compare" using WinPV and only the VE tables are changing. Should anything else be? Since there are still changes taking place, should I continue to do Autotunes or is doing a handful of runs sufficient?
3. Also looking at some of the other stuff, the AFR chart is basically at 14.4 across the board. It came set up this way...I thought it was supposed to be set at 14.6.
2. My MPG is down a bit from stock. Is that normal? I was getting about 45 and now I'm closer to 40.

I'm not complaining about any of this as I really didn't know what to expect. I realize that I may be able to do better with wideband sensors and/or letting a professional tune it. However, the bike runs great and I feel more power and it sounds different (better). I'm just wondering if my results are in line with what should be expected with Autotune Basic.

Thanks.
The tune provided was developed with Jackpot mufflers however I will be a very good starting point. As far as noting the tune is changing it really depends on what is considered considerable, when you flash the initial calibration closed loop takes some time to level out the tune. If you use auto tune it is essentially taking learned corrections from the ECM doing business and normal and applying them directly to the VE tables rather than adaptive values stored in the background. Whether you are doing an auto tune session or simply riding the bike it is going to take some miles for things to fall into place. As far at AT corrections we like to see them within 5-7%, however understand the corrections will change day in/day out based on relative conditions, differences in fuel, etc.. We are are simply looking for consistency. For most users I recommend starting with three, 20 minute Auto Tune sessions of mixed riding. Between each session exporting the learned corrections, updating the the tune and working forward. This is very straight forward and in most cases will get the tune right in there where it needs to be. If you need any assistance you are welcome to contact us and we are here to help on all levels.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I didn't know about the 5% rule and that makes sense.
Thats whre you get into the ping pong effect. It will make very small changes to the positive side and then the next run it will make very small changes to the negative side so to speak. When the changes are this small you just stop autotuning because it will always change a little one way or another.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Webo
Thats whre you get into the ping pong effect. It will make very small changes to the positive side and then the next run it will make very small changes to the negative side so to speak. When the changes are this small you just stop autotuning because it will always change a little one way or another.
and precisely what the correction factor within the ECM is for. It will be able to compensate for small changes within the ECM as you're riding.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

Thanks, you all have been great! So the ECM will still continue to do its thing, just from a different reference point.

So if I'm touring in the summer in Texas or the Colorado mountains, I should still be fine with this tune I'm establishing now in cool Seattle, or do I need to carry this PV along with me? Not looking for perfection on the road but I don't want to be causing any problems either.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks, you all have been great! So the ECM will still continue to do its thing, just from a different reference point.

So if I'm touring in the summer in Texas or the Colorado mountains, I should still be fine with this tune I'm establishing now in cool Seattle, or do I need to carry this PV along with me? Not looking for perfection on the road but I don't want to be causing any problems either.

that is correct. I however, when heading out on a trip always make it a point to throw my TTS in the saddlebag. Never know when you'll need that device.