Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM
tcatman02
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default trailer concerns

I am wondering if I could or should use my well built snowmobile trailer to tow my bike to Florida? It has smallish wheel and tires so they must spin faster than a normal wheel size. So do you think the bearings would overheat and burn the grease out? I have bearing buddies so I could give them a couple of shots at gas stops. It is the clamshell type so the bike would stay dry, and it tilts so it might be easy to load and unload, I'm just worried about the bearings , I have 2 spares and brand new wheel and tire sets. What do ya think?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
RCVANDAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be fine as your bike should be about the same weight as 2 sleds. Are you sure the clamshell will clear the windshield? Seems like that might be more of an issue.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
tcatman02
Cruiser

I'll take windshield off if I have to. I'm gonna measure every thing up tomorrow .

Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

If you don't get near the rated load of the tires you should be fine, but you are correct in your concerns

Small tires suck, I don't know what roads you are planning to go but I avoid NYC and 95 like a case of the clap... the roads just s*ck and towing a trailer of any size through there bites.

I tend to go the inland route 84/81/77/26 back to 95,

the other issue with the small tires is once you get south of the Mason Dixon, speed limits tend to go up, and 70 mph with small tires can be fun, especially when you get a 53 foot trailer on your side...

The AutoTrain out of Lorton VA ends at Sanford Fla, they take bikes, or vehicles with trailers, I don't know the costs for trailers, but the bike is 125 on way plus passenger fare which can vary depending on if you book early or last minute.. the low is about 100 bucks, the high is big bucks.

Got a friend near DC that would let you park your car and trailer?

I have done the train a bunch of times, with a bike in the bed of the truck... no problem

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Hauled a lot of sleds to the mountains in snowmobile trailers at speeds of 75 and sometimes faster. Never a problem with bearings or tires but made sure all was good before the trips. One thing I would check is the floor thickness and condition. Snowmobiles spread the weight out considerably between the tracks and skis. The bike will be very concentrated weight zones at the wheels. Might need another thin sheet added for safety sake.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

If you want more exact information a trailer shop could evaluate the bearing number, spindles & axle rating.
The floor or motorcycle load placement might be different and a trailer shop could make recommendations.
The tires will be marked for load rating and ply rating.
Smallish wheels is difficult to understand..
For example i use something called a Trailer in Bag and it comes with D-rated 8 inch tires...very few are D-rated.
The bearings are rated for much higher speeds than i could drive legally and the two tires add up to more than double my load requirements.
The thing can zoom along at highway speeds + for numerous hours (12-16 hour trips) on the super slab and the tires and spindles are no hotter than the car tires and the spindles do not get warm (i have done hand touch and infrared thermometer tests).

Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Litewings
Hauled a lot of sleds to the mountains in snowmobile trailers at speeds of 75 and sometimes faster. Never a problem with bearings or tires but made sure all was good before the trips. One thing I would check is the floor thickness and condition. Snowmobiles spread the weight out considerably between the tracks and skis. The bike will be very concentrated weight zones at the wheels. Might need another thin sheet added for safety sake.
Good point about the floor. I've bolted in a 4" wide iron channel the length of the trailer (cast, not bent sheet metal) to roll the bike on, spreads the weight across the cross members of the trailer, and keeps the bike from shifting from all the bouncing you'll probably get from those little wheels. I had one tiny wheeled trailer that I was able to fit 14" (rim) car wheels on, improved ride and handling.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Yep...

Might as well...no need to use the snowmobiles this winter! No snow!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
tcatman02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Groucho1
Might as well...no need to use the snowmobiles this winter! No snow!
dam right!!!! The floor is not gonna be an issue as there I an aluminum beam or plate 6" wide front to back right down the middle. The trailer is a RANCE RENEGADE 10' really well built trailer,all aluminum full length beams underneath , 3 beam A frame tongue etc.... my only concern is the wheel bearings ( well my main concern) Thanks everyone for the input!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't think your bike will fit unless it's a hybrid trailer. Putting a bike on a tilt trailer with a clamshell cover sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Quick Reply: trailer concerns