Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony DSX--what's the purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Sony DSX--what's the purpose?

Forgive me, I posted this same thread in the audio section. I posted it here because there's a great thread where a gent posted receiving his Sony DSX-S100 today. I have a few questions on its purpose and didn't want to hijack his thread. Here goes:

First off, let me say, it's not my intention on being ornery but merely inquisitive for the purpose of the Sony DSX-S100 and Retro Radio Install Kits.

I followed UltaNutz advice and went with the Polk DB651 speakers and SoundStream TN4.900D amp. Let me say, the sound is amazing.

I'm running my MP3's and streaming music through my Samsung G3 phone (don't mean to get off topic, but I was playing the music through an app called Power Amp. It's so powerful that it blew the DB651 speakers).

Now, I can use my old 8GB Ipod and connect it to my stock radio by means of a 3.5 mm to Ipod Connector Cable and then play all of my music.

From the reviews, the Sony DSX-S100 has the capabilities of streaming Pandora. Pandora is now old streaming technology. Now-a-days, folks use IheartRadio. Through this app, you can stream live music from all over the country; listen to dedicated genre of music (There's a great station that I listen to all day called Roots of Rock. No commercials, just constant music) and you can build your own custom station.

Correct me if I'm wrong but unless you have an I-phone, can you stream music into your DSX-S100? Again, I'm not trying to be difficult or start a flame war but is the purpose of the DSX-S100 only for playing MP3's? If so, I would think that it's limited.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Different strokes for different folks...just like the posts where members diss touring bikes over their dyna's/sportsters/softails...you get my drift.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
I followed UltaNutz advice and went with the Polk DB651 speakers and SoundStream TN4.900D amp. Let me say, the sound is amazing.

I'm running my MP3's and streaming music through my Samsung G3 phone (don't mean to get off topic, but I was playing the music through an app called Power Amp. It's so powerful that it blew the DB651 speakers).
The app didn't blow your speakers. The amp overpowered your speakers. By a longshot. The speakers are only rated for 60 watts RMS.

And it looks like it's iPhone only. You would need a different head unit to stream through anything else. That's why I went with a Kenwood.

Last edited by Pioneer74; 01-15-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

I added the ipod adapter to the stock Harmon karden and it's all good.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The purpose is specifically to use a ipod or usb drive.
It is the whole reason I specifically bought that unit.
My ipod is inside the unit in the tune tray.
It charges, the music info is displayed on the head units display and I dont have wires hanging all over.
The ipod, being inside the unit, which is inside a all weather cover is protected from the elements.
For anyone using a apple device (other than iphone 5) it is the best unit.
If you dont plan on using it for this reason, then yes it is the wrong unit for you.