Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merlot sunglo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015 | 06:54 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Default Merlot Sunglo and Bugslide

Originally Posted by bogieb
When I bought my bike I thought it was burgandy (rootbeer type). Not until I picked it up and it was in the sun, did I realize it was much more. I like the changing. Also found that some instant detailers (and probably wax) bring out the color better. I usually use Bug slide, and when I used the 303 there was a ton of difference in color when not in dirrect sunlight.
I agree about the Bugslide. Although the Aerospace 303 is a wonderful product, it is more difficult to buff shiny. The Bugslide on the other hand, goes on an off very easy. I just spray a little on a microfiber towel and wipe off bugs, dust and handprints. But the best I have found is the Duragloss 601/105 for a durable clear finish that brings the best out of the Merlot Sunglo paint.

Old 08-04-2015 | 04:03 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I agree about the Bugslide. Although the Aerospace 303 is a wonderful product, it is more difficult to buff shiny. The Bugslide on the other hand, goes on an off very easy. I just spray a little on a microfiber towel and wipe off bugs, dust and handprints. But the best I have found is the Duragloss 601/105 for a durable clear finish that brings the best out of the Merlot Sunglo paint.
Huh, I always thought the Bugslide took too long to buff out - 303 seems to be a little better. Of course I am always in the sun, and the bike is warm when I touch up (which I believe both products say not to do), so maybe that is the difference.

Always good to get tips on products to bring out the color, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-04-2015 | 08:08 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Huh, I always thought the Bugslide took too long to buff out - 303 seems to be a little better. Of course I am always in the sun, and the bike is warm when I touch up (which I believe both products say not to do), so maybe that is the difference.

Always good to get tips on products to bring out the color, thanks for the suggestion.
Hmmm. Maybe the two products have a different melting/evaporation point? I, on the other hand, do the touchup in the shade. As I have and use both, I will now have to do a "controlled" test!

Old 08-07-2015 | 05:46 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior

Me neither. Lots of gold and oranges. My SG sometimes looks black, often looks rootbeer, and flashes with the red/orange/gold in the sun. Now my previous bike, an '06 SG with Pearl Black paint, had a lot of blue and green flashes.

I have to eat my words (fortunately they are no-fat, no-carb, no-cal ). I had the garage door open last night just before sunset and the sun was shining on the bike as I got out of the car. In walking by the bike I saw a whole lot of green along the front fender. Must have been the low angle of the sun and the angle I saw it from (opposite side of the sun). I specifically paid attention to every part of the bike in the sun just because of this discussion. ARG, I hate admitting I am incorrect in my original statement

Old 08-07-2015 | 10:01 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hate Work
You are absolutely correct about 303® Aerospace Protectant requiring a little more elbow grease to properly apply to paint. What we would actually recommend for the applications that have been discussed is 303® Speed Detailer. It will give a nice shine without being greasy or oily and is also a simple spray on, wipe dry application.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-speed-detailer

If anyone is interested in receiving our sample pack for free, please PM us. All we ask in return is some brief feedback of the product.

Have a great weekend!!

Old 08-09-2015 | 05:34 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
You are absolutely correct about 303® Aerospace Protectant requiring a little more elbow grease to properly apply to paint. What we would actually recommend for the applications that have been discussed is 303® Speed Detailer. It will give a nice shine without being greasy or oily and is also a simple spray on, wipe dry application.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-speed-detailer

If anyone is interested in receiving our sample pack for free, please PM us. All we ask in return is some brief feedback of the product.

Have a great weekend!!
Ah, nice catch - I was talking about the 303 Speed Detailer in my post and didn't notice that Hate Work was talking about the Aerospace protectant.

Old 05-27-2016 | 12:25 PM
fatdaddy6
Stage II
Default merlot sunglo problems

i have a 2011 softail deluxe merlot sunglo we have painted the fender 3 times and cannot match the factory color there seems to be a green in the evening copper tones during the daylight.
we ordered paint direct from harley 98628-dhd 98628-dhd black base and merlot midcoat.
thought it was strange that it is a single stage urethane paint but we used it with little succcess anybody having issues with the color??

Old 05-27-2016 | 02:17 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fatdaddy6
i have a 2011 softail deluxe merlot sunglo we have painted the fender 3 times and cannot match the factory color there seems to be a green in the evening copper tones during the daylight. we ordered paint direct from harley 98628-dhd 98628-dhd black base and merlot midcoat. thought it was strange that it is a single stage urethane paint but we used it with little succcess anybody having issues with the color??
My factory color has green in it as well. It's really not that big of an issue.