Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to do in Dragon country

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014 | 09:53 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rbferg
NC 80 is a great road! It's one of my favorites and puts the Dragon to shame IMO! It's allot less crowded, more scenic and there are several great routes to and from. I like to take it from Burnsville south towards Marion.

https://www.thedevilnc80.com/directions.html
That looks like a cool ride...

Old 01-22-2014 | 10:02 PM
Billfishin2
Road Captain

Underground lake outside of Sweetwater TN (thelostsea.com) and 64 heading east is a great ride ....

Old 01-23-2014 | 06:44 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Subscribed...Been on HDF almost 6 years now and never heard of some of these rides (like 226a,post 54) Thanks...My bucket list just got longer!!!! :-) Tim...

Old 01-23-2014 | 07:20 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master

Stop by Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson in Pigeon Forge, TN. They have a giant map on the wall. Many of the areas great rides are marked on the map.You can study the routes and plan out your entire vacation, ride ever day in the area without riding the same route twice. Glad to have you, enjoy your trip and spend a lot of money, we can use it.

Old 01-23-2014 | 12:35 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior

Just get to the area, and take off! :-)

Old 01-23-2014 | 03:05 PM
PFR-Captain
Cruiser

Yes to all the above areas to visit. Can't think of the name of the small Mom and Pops place but they had great boiled peanuts and I got a pint of Shine sampler. Nice sipping by the fireplace at the end of the day.

Old 01-23-2014 | 04:44 PM
jbkrab
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Hopefully your do more then the Dragon. Hate to bust anyones bubble but the Dragon is a lot of hype. Once we got done riding it in August, I said to my buddy, that's it!!!!! The roads leading to it were more challenging and scenic. At least I crossed it off my bucket list but I would never ride it again....
I agree, the Dragon is fun, but is somewhat anti-climatic once done. There are literately hundreds of other roads nearby that are much more challenging and actually more enjoyable to ride due to the lack of other riders trying to kill themselves on these roads. Invest in a set of America Rides Maps and you will have more roads to ride than you have time, and have a much better time than just Deals Gap and the Dragon. Enjoy your Trip! Ride Safe!

Old 01-23-2014 | 04:57 PM
IAmConverted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jammerx
That looks like a cool ride...
It's more challenging to ride it from the B/R down the mountain than it is up the mountain. If you do be careful of that big sweeper to the left that suddenly tightens up to a 90* right at the end. It's guaranteed to leave a pucker spot on the seat. I think it's the 3rd turn or so from the start.

Old 01-23-2014 | 06:30 PM
rbferg
Road Master

This is a good resource as well, just click on the region of the map you're interested in. Several great routes with rider comments and GPS files.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/nc.html

Old 01-23-2014 | 06:52 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by PyroMedic
[IMG][/IMG]
The Devil's Whip is a great ride. Little far from the PF Gatlin area. But a great ride especially when you group it with the Diamondback NC Hwy 226A. a good little 40 mile ride that in my opinion is better then the Tail of the Dragon. https://www.thedevilnc80.com/ http://www.diamondbacknc.com/db_loop_route.html

And stay away from Lake Lure they don;t much care for motorcycles anymore. Nice little noise ordinance that I have seen them stop folks with stock pipes and give tickets to.

Quick Reply: What else to do in Dragon country