Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to do in Dragon country

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014 | 10:20 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
(Wayah rd) from Franklin to Andrews...About 1/2 way through there is a little place on the side of the lake perfect for a break...that road is awesome also...
Oh yeah, loved this stop. We saw this spot and pulled over 'got naked' and had a little dip. Nantahala Gorge river rafting is right there too! Nice break from riding. Let me know, I might be there. FT

Old 01-14-2014 | 10:28 PM
dkracing
Advanced

Check out a ride called The Rattler, Hwy 209 from Fines Creek, which is off I-40 just west, back toward Knoxville, of Maggie Valley, it goes to High Point, NC. 290 turns in 24 miles. Nice ride. You might also like a road I call The Sidewinder, Hwy 32 out of Cosby, Tn. It goes toward Mt. Sterling. 11 miles of twistier turns than The Dragon, and almost no traffic, because at the end of that 11 miles the nice smooth pavement turns to hard pack dirt, about a mile from Mt. Sterling. You can either, ease your way down the dirt, to Mt. Sterling, which is about 2 miles from I-40. Or you can turn around and ride all those turns again all the way back to Cosby. I don't know how many turns it is, but it's gotta be over 250. Oh and stay in Bryson City not Robbinsville. There is nothing to eat in Robbinsville.

Old 01-15-2014 | 05:22 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Dragon is a great ride & do both directions. Lots of great rides everyone has listed. Biltmore is a must see & so is Wheels thru Time museum in Maggie Valley. Wayah is great. My favorite is the Rattler.

http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.hellbender28.com/
http://www.cherohala.com/
http://www.moonshiner28.com/
http://www.209therattler.com/

Old 01-15-2014 | 09:25 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by usmc97hd
The Biltmore is worth the price. My wife made me go the first time back in '92. I went kicking and screaming. But I have to say Im glad she made me. Awesome place. Weve been back several times. They have a new tour I want to try. It takes you into the unfinished parts of the building and into the basement to see the mechanicals. Sounds really neat. After seeing this place I felt poor when I got home.
My wife & I did the Biltmore in June & did the basement tour. It was really interesting. Worth the bucks to go see IMHO!

Old 01-15-2014 | 09:26 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by king124
wheels through time museum in maggie valley would be a must. been there many times and its always blast every time i go back.
I agree with the masses on this one. It is a VERY cool place and worth the admission.

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Devil's Triangle @ Oliver Springs, TN. Just west of Oak Ridge, TN. Well worth the ride!
^^^^^^
THIS!

The Devil's Triangle makes the Dragon look like a country road by comparison. The Triangle is significantly more challenging and has 10% of the traffic that you will experience on the Tail. Cool deal for me - I can leave my house, ride the Triangle, and be back home in just 3 hours.

The light traffic is soon going to change though. The Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary at the Petros end of the Triangle will soon become a moonshine distillery and tourist destination.
Local News Report

Brushy Mountain Group

This will be a VERY cool place, but the Triangle will certainly be more crowded.

If you are looking to do something cool off of the bike, try the new Alpine Coaster. It just opened last Fall and is located on Wears Valley Road in Pigeon Forge. I did this on New Year's Eve and it was a blast!

Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

I am near Knoxville and only an hour from Pigeon Forge. If I can help you with any questions, send me a PM. I'd be happy to try to help. Depending on the timing, I might be able to meet up with you to ride one day if you are interested in that.

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:00 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep don't miss Devil's Triangle it's definitely more challenging awesome switchbacks!

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:20 AM
EasTexUltra12
|
Road Master

Thanks again, fellas. I ordered some maps that were recommended on the first page of the thread. When they come in I'll print out this whole thread and map out all the rides. Looks like I'll have plenty to do.

Ride Safe

David

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:20 AM
PyroMedic
Cruiser

[IMG]What else to do in Dragon country-qdcn2zy.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:31 AM
maverickwolfe
Cruiser

If you're into theme parks and 'old timey' stuff - check at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. In Gatlinburg check out Ole Smokey, Davy Crockett, and Sugarlands distilleries. Also Sugarlands winery is the start of a 'wine trail' from gatlinburg to sevierville.

Old 01-15-2014 | 04:37 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Also, the best place for breakfast....is Country Vittles in Maggie Valley.. You sit down and they just start bringing bowls of scrambled eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, country ham, biscuits & gravy, pancakes, baked apples,....and you tell them when to stop! (damn...now I'm hungry)

Quick Reply: What else to do in Dragon country