Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what's the verdict? Ultra Classic or Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:19 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't let anybody kid you. Building a SG into an Ultra Classic or Limited is like buying a Ford Focus and saying you can add bits to make it a Lincoln Continental. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt to prove it. Unless you're an 'around town' tourer, the SG will never compare. Shorter suspension travel and geometry changes as a result will not make for a comfortable long distance touring bike. So, unless your touring is weekend trips (which is fine), don't confuse the two. Figure out what you want, and then get the bike to fit your expected/intended use.

My '02 RK (with Tour-Pak) was a far superior "touring bike" than my '12 SG (with Tour-Pak). Now, my Limited has put them both to shame!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Don't let anybody kid you. Building a SG into an Ultra Classic or Limited is like buying a Ford Focus and saying you can add bits to make it a Lincoln Continental. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt to prove it. Unless you're an 'around town' tourer, the SG will never compare. Shorter suspension travel and geometry changes as a result will not make for a comfortable long distance touring bike. So, unless your touring is weekend trips (which is fine), don't confuse the two. Figure out what you want, and then get the bike to fit your expected/intended use.

My '02 RK (with Tour-Pak) was a far superior "touring bike" than my '12 SG (with Tour-Pak). Now, my Limited has put them both to shame!
Dunno that I agree with you on the SG thing. Stock, maybe. But to me, Adding the trunk, better rear shocks, taller shield, better seat, and rear floorboards, makes the SG every bit as good. The question of course, is, and alway has been, is it worth paying MORE to do that, to retain the cosmetics of the SG.

When I did it before, I KNEW that I would be replacing the seat and shield, no matter what bike I bought, so those were a non issue.

However, like you, speaking from experience, It WILL most certainly cost more to add to the SG to make it FULLY comparable. I personally decided to hell with it this time around, and went Limited. (the Limited did not exist in 09, last time I bought) Had they made an SGS with a wethead motor in 2014 could have gone in that direction again.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike

I don't think the difference in a SG to a UC or Limited is quite as bad as you're making it out to be. SG is not an around town tourer. I owned one for 3 years before my current ride a 2012 RKC. I've been out west and to the east coast, sissy bar and T-Bag were fine. That bike could do endless miles and rode like a dream. Some guys just need the longer suspension for comfort. So many people think the only real touring bike is an Ultra or Limited. This does nothing for the OP's question, just sticking up for the SG. BTW nothing puts a RK to shame

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
nuages
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Street Glide with standard length premium HD shocks does the trick.....as for the Ford Focus bit.....the tourers all have the same frames.....yes it costs more, but sometimes circumstances dictate the path to follow.
My SG has: premium. Shocks, 4 point docking, detachable rack, tour pak, with wrap round led, side led, air wing rack with led, reduced reach seat, rear speakers, rider backrest, bar mounted mirrors, CB radio, full rider passenger intercom, antennas switchable from the rear of the bike to the tour pak, vented fairing lowers, LED headlamp and passing lamps, highway pegs, full alarm/mmobilizer, linked abs brakes, mid frame air reflectors and fairing wind reflectors, 7" Windsplitter screen, front fender chrome tip and side rails, rear fender chrome detail, rear Saddlebag guards and rear Saddlebag rails, swapped in the Ultra tank console for neater CB/intercom 7 pin din connection, passenger floorboards with chrome pans, heated grips.
This fall it will have impeller custom chrome wheels.....So Ford Focus or not....it suits me.

Last edited by nuages; 01-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the Limited.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra with the standard radio.

1. I don't want water cooling on my bike. Especially when there are 2 radiators, 2 fans, and the requisite water pump, thermostat, hoses and bottle.

2. Don't really need touch screen, and the Nav system seems to be a joke. When I compared system specs between the two radios, they were the same! Only significant difference in radio performance was more voice recognition features the touch screen system offers.

3. Don't need the power port, the heated grips, chrome wheels etc.

4. Really don't care for the glossy dash. The matte finish on the Ultra dash is really easy to repair if necessary.

5. I like the paint scheme and striping on the Ultra much better than the Limited (although the Limited does have more color options).

6. I like the flexibility of being able to remove the lowers if I so choose, as well as having the storage when I have them on the bike.

7. And although I added the luggage rack and CB radio, I still saved about $2000 or so.

jt

Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harleyjth, I agree with you 100 percent. I did the exact same thing to my Ultra. Got it the way I wanted it and saved the $$$$$$!

Originally Posted by harleyjth
Ultra with the standard radio.

1. I don't want water cooling on my bike. Especially when there are 2 radiators, 2 fans, and the requisite water pump, thermostat, hoses and bottle.

2. Don't really need touch screen, and the Nav system seems to be a joke. When I compared system specs between the two radios, they were the same! Only significant difference in radio performance was more voice recognition features the touch screen system offers.

3. Don't need the power port, the heated grips, chrome wheels etc.

4. Really don't care for the glossy dash. The matte finish on the Ultra dash is really easy to repair if necessary.

5. I like the paint scheme and striping on the Ultra much better than the Limited (although the Limited does have more color options).

6. I like the flexibility of being able to remove the lowers if I so choose, as well as having the storage when I have them on the bike.

7. And although I added the luggage rack and CB radio, I still saved about $2000 or so.

jt

Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Just for your information, this is the situation in Australia, (and I take it for international models), with regard the 2014 Ultra Classic . They come with the new twin cooled (water cooled), motor. Thats right , you have a air cooled , we get a water cooled !! Of course the Limited has the new twin cooled motor. The Classic in not available in Australia.
So in Australia, if want a new 2014 touring model,(not including the Street Glide, or Road King), we are forced to buy only a model that has the new twin cooled motor !!! Not that its a big problem, but we don't have a choice !! Seems strange that if they manufacture in the USA the Ultra Classic in both air and water cooled engines, you cant get both in either country.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

As far as looks the Ultra has the Limited beat IMO. The straight line going across the gas tank is hideous! Something any idiot could do along with the butt ugly badge.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I find the looks/paint-scheme of the Limited more to my preference. If I go with the Classic it will definitely have to have the larger 6.5 radio. There have been some good arguments for each bike.

Quick Reply: So what's the verdict? Ultra Classic or Limited?