Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark lo
looks very nice and clean.
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 PM
"HI"
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

LoL!!

And here I thought this thread was about something else (smoked out)!!!!

Nice bikes gentlemen, carry on!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:49 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser

Originally Posted by "HI"
LoL!!

And here I thought this thread was about something else (smoked out)!!!!
Ooops...didn't mean to mislead ya!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlj6t
Changed all of my lights over to H-D LEDs, smoked lenses. Will have the H-D Daymakers on the front, as soon as my headlamp gets here mid-week or so.

All in all, fairly easy install. A few notes...
  1. Removing the stock Tour-Pak light assembly was a PAIN. That caulk was some seriously tough stuff to cut through/out. Jeebus...
Never used smoked lenses before, but started on my '14 FLHTK. Went with Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz in front (smoked lens), and the smoked laydown Brightasslight (BAL-3ST). Next is either the HD Tour Pack smoked lights or the rear fender tips lights. I have to do it a piece at a time.

It looks to me that the smoked Tour-Pak lights are direct replacements for the '14 FLHTK. You had to drill yours based on the older non-wrap around style light on the Tour-Pak?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
It looks to me that the smoked Tour-Pak lights are direct replacements for the '14 FLHTK. You had to drill yours based on the older non-wrap around style light on the Tour-Pak?
Not sure how they work for the '14. But for mine, I had to remove the entire Tour-Pak wrap-around light assembly, not just the lenses. Once off, it was replaced with the new LED assembly.

The drill template for the new LED assembly calls for something like 12 holes to be drilled, depending on what type of Tour-Pak you start with. Since mine already had the holes drilled for the radio antenna, CB antenna, and cutouts for the corner lights, I only had to drill 4 holes as I recall.

Did that answer your question?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jlj6t
  1. ...
  2. ...
  3. There was a terminal conflict between the H-D rear LED turn signals and the H-D rear fender tip light. Both can function as a run/brake. However, there is only one place to plug the "brake" wires into (pin 2 of the fender tip light socket). I've seen where others have spliced the turn signal and fender tip light "brake" wires into each other, then plugged into pin 2. I chose not to for the time being, and unplugged the fender tip "brake" wire from it's socket and replaced it with the turn signal "brake" wire. So, my fender tip is just a run light right now, while the rear turn signals have full run/brake/turn functionality.
This has been bugging me since the install, so I finally got around to fixing it. My objective, following others on this site who have had the same problem, was to somehow get the turn signal red/yellow AND the fender tip red/yellow wires both into the pin 2 on the fender tip socket. I unplugged the turn signal red/yellow "brake" wire, and plugged the fender tip red/yellow "brake" wire back into the pin 2 socket. I went this route since the turn signal red/yellow wire had more slack or wire to work with. Then I cut the turn signal red/yellow terminal off, stripped a bit of insulation, and tinned the stranded wire to give it some rigidity. Finally, I was able to push the tinned turned signal wire along with the fender tip wire terminal into the pin 2 socket. It's not "up to code," but both wires are secure in the socket and don't seem in danger of falling out. Function check showed that the fender tip light is now braking as well as running. Cool.

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Looks good. I also took my reflectors off and am getting the LED tail lamp bezel painted. The flat black plastic makes it look unfinished.
Got my inner fairing and LED tail lamp bezel painted to match, and installed 'em both a couple of days ago. Pics are in this thread: Getting inner fairing and led bezel painted

Might be good to go for a while!

At least until my oil temp gauge gets here next week...

Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Very nice on the smoked LEDs. I have the same setup as you on my king when I brought it home, minus the Daymakers. Been on the fence on these as I've heard others say the bike with 'em were hard to spot at an angle but the new reflectors were better. Any thoughts from your experience, if I may ask?

As an aside, I have the CD LED front fender light. Bright as hell though. So bright I switched lenses to bar&shield logo fender tip lens in chrome.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
jlj6t
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RKZen
Very nice on the smoked LEDs. I have the same setup as you on my king when I brought it home, minus the Daymakers. Been on the fence on these as I've heard others say the bike with 'em were hard to spot at an angle but the new reflectors were better. Any thoughts from your experience, if I may ask?

As an aside, I have the CD LED front fender light. Bright as hell though. So bright I switched lenses to bar&shield logo fender tip lens in chrome.
I've no firsthand experience with the Daymaker reflectors (or the TL Phase 7s). All I can really say about these Daymaker projectors is:
  1. Forward illumination? Daymaker indeed. Absolutely lights up the night like nothing else I've experienced. I do a lot of riding in the pre-dawn hours, and I'm thoroughly pleased with how these illuminate not only further down the road, but more of the closer-in-but-peripheral area as well.
  2. Since the beam is more focused, there is a definite delineation in the darkness. I notice this on the turns, where the "inside" light tends to angle down a bit. Not an issue for me. I've not run into a situation yet where there wasn't enough beam so that I outrode my headlights.
  3. No real evidence as to change in visibility to others during daylight hours. I've had several folks stop and ask me "what lights are those?" at stoplights, parking lots, etc. So I reckon a few folks are noticing... I may get around to conducting some sort of experiment to see what it looks like from different angles. But I'm not too worried about this one. I rely much more on my riding abilities and situational awareness to keep me visible to others.

For me, the trigger was the increased depth and width of the illuminated FOV while the bike was vertical. That was such a huge plus in my "analysis" that by the time I factored in the minuses (which I feel can be mitigated) and cost, it was worth it to go this route.

Enough rambling...I'll see if my opinion holds once I get a few more miles under their belt!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 PM
HOGILAC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweeeeeeet!