Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Bonz60
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What bars

Have a 05 Ultra that is being stripped down to a glide I am 60 and ride 2up sometimes. Thinking about higher bars not much either like a mini ape or one that just puts your fist just over the fairing 12"? What are the thoughts on low speed riding with these?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonz60
Have a 05 Ultra that is being stripped down to a glide I am 60 and ride 2up sometimes. Thinking about higher bars not much either like a mini ape or one that just puts your fist just over the fairing 12"? What are the thoughts on low speed riding with these?
There are 11", 12" and 13" bars pending on your height, how you sit and what maybe comfortable for you. They claim that apes are not a problem in lower speeds. I just got 14" Carlini Menace done during late fall/ early winter and didn't have much time to ride. I am hoping it resolves my issues with neck and back pain.

Instead of apes you might want to consider reduced reach bars which bring you 2" closer than stock. Most complain that the stock position of the hands are the culprit. My only advice, go to bike shows/ "bike night" and ask to sit on their bikes and see what works best for you.

Last edited by RottnRam; 01-11-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 AM
cbennett1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 6'2" I love my Yaffe 12" monkey bars!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Bars

10" Yaffe on way.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I have 14s and there was virtually no impact to low speed riding, turns, etc. A 10"-12" wouldn't be noticeable in my opinion. 12" puts you just above the fairing while a 10"' keeps your hands below the top of the fairing. SJ Ron

Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At 6'1", I love my Yaffe 12" Classic Bagger Apes!

Ideally, you want your wrists above your elbows, but below your shoulders, while seated in a naturally upright position. This riding position provides the most comfort, but more importantly, the most control over the motorcycle.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Ideally, you want your wrists above your elbows, but below your shoulders, while seated in a naturally upright position. This riding position provides the most comfort, but more importantly, the most control over the motorcycle.
Best answer EVER! If someone would copy and paste THIS answer to EVERY handlebar thread posted here...ad nauseum...there would be no need for all the very subjective answers to a very subjective topic!

What I tell folks when they ask me is that they need to sit in a straight back chair, OR a chair that best replicates how they ride...could be a stool, maybe...put their hands where it's most comfortable to them...and buy the handlebars that fit that...it may take many handlebars to find that, and it's gonna cost money, but there are no shortcuts! I was able to determine that the best bar for me was the 9" mini-ape that the MoCo sells, originally designed for the FXDWG in the early 90's. That was for my last bike.

For my current FLHX, it would be nice to have higher bars, but that would put my hands in the wind, thus negating the benefit of the fairing. Now, why would anybody want to put their hands in the wind when their bike has a fairing to protect 'em from that? Oh, to look cool...ah. Well, I'll just leave the bars the previous owner put on 'em, and keep my hands warm and dry!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Best answer EVER! If someone would copy and paste THIS answer to EVERY handlebar thread posted here...ad nauseum...there would be no need for all the very subjective answers to a very subjective topic!
Thanks!

...it may take many handlebars to find that, and it's gonna cost money, but there are no shortcuts!
NO. NO. NO. And for the very reason that you mentioned. This job costs time and money, so you only want to do it once! If you do your homework, ask lots of questions and make the effort to sit on similar bikes, with similar seats, then you're gonna get it right the first time.

For my current FLHX, it would be nice to have higher bars, but that would put my hands in the wind, thus negating the benefit of the fairing. Now, why would anybody want to put their hands in the wind when their bike has a fairing to protect 'em from that? Oh, to look cool...ah. Well, I'll just leave the bars the previous owner put on 'em, and keep my hands warm and dry!
As with any functional change that affects rider ergonomics, there are going to be trade-offs.

Focus on the intent of your upgrade and getting that part right. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm 6'1" and just had Yaffe 12" Classic Bagger Apes installed on my 2011 SG last September. By far, the best mod made to date.

If you look at my avatar and sig pics, you can see that the bottom of the grip is above the fairing. The result is a much more comfortable riding position, with much better control of the motorcycle, especially at lower speeds.

To be quite frank, you're already catching some wind, rain, debris and bugs with stock bars and a fairing! The difference, when adding ape hangers, will be insignificant.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Fenderguy, the vast majority of guys I talk to, ride with, and know, have bars on their bikes that are NOT ideal, not perfectly comfortable, but they achieve something that was more important to them than comfort, and that issue was, and is, 'looking cool'. The ONLY guy I know that got it right was ME! And it took me four or five tries to get it done! And one of those, the penultimate attempt, was when I had a set of custom bars bent by a guy on North Long Beach.

I would venture to guess that most guys get it 'good enough', and proclaim victory, and stop there...I didn't...I was looking for the 'perfect fit'...and I got it.

So, although I respect your point of view and appreciate your comment, I stand my ground...is the OP looking for the perfect fit, or is he looking for something that looks cool, and is he gonna be satisfied with something that's close...but not perfect? I don't know, none of us know, and that's why handlebar threads are largely unproductive, in my opinion...

For instance, how does one know ahead of time that an ape hanger is gonna be the perfect answer? I'll throw this out there..if you ask a question about comfort but limit what you're look for to apehangers, you're more interested in looks than function. I mean, who knows, maybe after all is said and done a beachbar is more comfy? Might not look as cool as apehangers, true.

Like I say, on my current bike, I'm compromising on what I consider true comfort... reason why is that if I put my hands where they are really comfortable, I'll negate the benefit of the fairing, and that just seems silly to me, and they are comfy enough where they are!

In my opinion, it all boils down to the age-old issue of form vs function... and form usually takes precedence over function in the Harley world...

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,067 Likes on 3,633 Posts

I am 6'1" i just did 12" Yaffee classic bagger apes and love them, the bike handles and turns better and my hands are slightly over the fairing, i just recently backed them up a bit and it made it even more comfy.

Attached Thumbnails What bars-apesfinished1.jpg   What bars-apesfinished3.jpg  

Last edited by Notgrownup; 01-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: What bars