Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

There is no way science backs up "better control with apes". I've never seen a race bike with them. But it matters little on a tourer that is all about looks and comfort anyway. Comfort is different for different folks. Some like apes and some don't. I will say the 16s on my RK aren't terrible comfort wise but control is defiantly compromised, especially braking. I do think apes look silly on fairinged bikes and really like the sweepers on my EG... but different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Fenderguy, the vast majority of guys I talk to, ride with, and know, have bars on their bikes that are NOT ideal, not perfectly comfortable, but they achieve something that was more important to them than comfort, and that issue was, and is, 'looking cool'...
Well, Veekness, IMHO, it is a shame to spend that kind of money and time only to make yourself "look good". That said, it's their time and their money, so they can spend it as they see fit.

On the other hand, I tend to be a much more practical guy. I don't spend money on fluff. If it doesn't have a functional purpose, then it's not going on my bike. period. End of story.

So, although I respect your point of view and appreciate your comment, I stand my ground...is the OP looking for the perfect fit, or is he looking for something that looks cool, and is he gonna be satisfied with something that's close...but not perfect? I don't know, none of us know, and that's why handlebar threads are largely unproductive, in my opinion...
I disagree. I believe that handlebar threads are quite helpful. It's how I discovered what's out there, what's popular, costs for bars, costs for wiring and cables, costs for labor, blah. blah, blah. Lot's of good, helpful info out there.

We don't always know the motives of the poster; however, we often answer the question in a "what I would do" fashion. This adds perspective to the conversation and presents alternatives that may not have heretofore been considered. We need to consider not only the OP, but the other posters and the many "lurkers" who may be asking the same question!

Like I say, on my current bike, I'm compromising on what I consider true comfort... reason why is that if I put my hands where they are really comfortable, I'll negate the benefit of the fairing, and that just seems silly to me, and they are comfy enough where they are!
OK. This works for you, and that's great. However, as you say, your decision resulted in a compromise, not a solution. Spending money and time on a compromise is a waste of money and time (again, my opinion).

When you lose focus of your goal, you lose...

In my opinion, it all boils down to the age-old issue of form vs function... and form usually takes precedence over function in the Harley world...
I wholeheartedly disagree on this one. "Form versus Function" suggests an either/or premise, which is simply not true. Quite simply, one can achieve form and function at the same time, through due diligence.

Focus on the goal!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I am 6'1" i just did 12" Yaffee classic bagger apes and love them, the bike handles and turns better and my hands are slightly over the fairing, i just recently backed them up a bit and it made it even more comfy.
Love mine, too, Notgrownup.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Bonz60
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the input It was always about function if you read the post I lean to far forward
Believe I'll go with 12's and pull them back some

Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the 12" monkey bars I wish I would have went with the 14's, try this out. here are two dimensions taken from my bars they are for a road king so yours will be different but perhaps the 10" 12" 14" street glide guys will chime in.

Excuse the water spots on the first photo.

The centerline of the grips are about 10.5" above my fork locks
The width as shown is 34" tip of grip to tip of grip, my bars are basically in line with my forks

So with a broom stick and a tape measure you should be able to come close, for positioning.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Sit in your seat and put your hands up where you want them. Apes will be a little bit wider than stock. I'm 5'11" and sit in a little bit of a recline in my stock seat. I went with wo578s after long hours of searching. Love them and they keep my hands right at the top of the fairing. I got it right on the first try by extensive research. These wild ones can be pulled back or pushed up quite a ways

Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

10" yaffe mb's work for me..

Old 01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Flander Handlebar there 2" up 2" back from stock 36" wide. I'm 6'1" with 6'1" arm spread no more back pain on long rides. there is a lot to choose from wires in or out.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,094 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I will say that from stock, i went with HD 2" touring pullback touring bars and they made a hell of a difference for me. I did sit on somebody's street glide with 12" classic bagger apes and felt really good...The fact that my bike turns and makes it easier to handle at low speed is a mystery to me but frankly i don't give a **** what anybody says, it turns and handles better with the apes period. I originally did it for looks and comfort but the handling part just fell in there... I originally was gonna go with higher bars but backed off because they looked to high for me on my FLHTC. 12" was the highest i was gonna do...Glad i did, i might would look at different brands like Wild ones or Carlinis but the Yaffee's as fine. Personally i don't fancy the Monkey Bars. I like the smooth curves.