Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Tour-Pak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Tour-Pak Question

For all you Ultra owners out there (or anyone else who knows).....

Do the rear lights on the Tour-Pak operate as just running lights / brake lights or do they also operate as turn signals?

Thanks much,
Brian

Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Tour-Pak Question

hmmm,,,, good ?... I know run and brake,,,, guessin turn also,,, been a few months since Ive rode it,,, its still in its deep freeze coma

Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

Mine operate at running lights and brake lights. Not sure if they were suppose to come this way as I had the dealer put a lot of extra light things on when I purchased the bike...

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/7038E5895B3E41428BB5FED7A0FDAECB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian,

The '06 Ultra King T/P that I'm running only supports the running and brake lights. This is whats stock for an Ultra Classic.

To enhance it, I added a wig-wag module so when the brakes are on its flashing more.

You could wire it differently to support the turn signals, just be couple extra wires thats all.

Gary

Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 PM
RanD
Tourer

Just brake and running lights on '06 Ultra

Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 07 has no turn in that location/

Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram

Brian,

The '06 Ultra King T/P that I'm running only supports the running and brake lights. This is whats stock for an Ultra Classic.

To enhance it, I added a wig-wag module so when the brakes are on its flashing more.

You could wire it differently to support the turn signals, just be couple extra wires thats all.

Gary
If it was that easy everyone would do it. You have to separate the brake signal power from the turn signal power. Need a few 1 amp diodes to do it.Thats another reason I went with the LEDs Gary.Brake and or turn signal.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:49 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra
If it was that easy everyone would do it. You have to separate the brake signal power from the turn signal power. Need a few 1 amp diodes to do it.Thats another reason I went with the LEDs Gary.Brake and or turn signal.
Actually, the diodes won't get it done. The brake lights and the turn signals are both supplied power to activate them. In a turn/brake assembly the flash is achomplished by switching the ground, not the power, on two seperate dedicated circuits.

If you really want to modify the stock assembly, youcan put a relay inline on each side, and use the turn signal to "open" the relay switchto produce a flash in the brake light power. You would need two small relays, and bring in one power wire each from the turn signals at the rear.

This method would also cause the turn signal function in the tour pack top flash oppisite of the corrisponding turn signal.
The turn signal flashes on, the tour pak flashes off, the turn signal fashes off, the tourpak flashes on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18109/7A18C07A45DA4A1E86D42A27FCB44F8C.jpg[/IMG]

In the drawing above(give me a breakI had paint handy), I show how to add in the two relays, and make this happen.

As you can see, I tied one relay each (yellow Block) into the power wire for each side brake light.(red/yellow wire from connector 12B off the main harness)

You will need to cut the wire, and attach it ot theNC (Normally closed) contacts of the relay.

You need to do this for both rear tail lights, one relay each side after they "y" off.

You will also need to bring two wires from your turn signal circuit into the tour pack. You can pick these up at connector7A splice in and run into the T/P.

Run the left side turn signal wire to the activation contact on the relay for the left side and then run the right side turn signal wire to the right side relay. Pickup a ground for these at the tourpak ground point.

Thats all there is to it. The only drawback may be too much draw per side and the electronic ignition manager getting a bit whacky. (I don't think this will happen with a small enough relay and it being put in parrelell in the turnsignal circuit)

Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra
Actually, the diodes won't get it done. The brake lights and the turn signals are both supplied power to activate them. In a turn/brake assembly the flash is achomplished by switching the ground, not the power, on two seperate dedicated circuits.

If you really want to modify the stock assembly, youcan put a relay inline on each side, and use the turn signal to "open" the relay switchto produce a flash in the brake light power. You would need two small relays, and bring in one power wire each from the turn signals at the rear.

This method would also cause the turn signal function in the tour pack top flash oppisite of the corrisponding turn signal.
The turn signal flashes on, the tour pak flashes off, the turn signal fashes off, the tourpak flashes on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18109/7A18C07A45DA4A1E86D42A27FCB44F8C.jpg[/IMG]

In the drawing above(give me a breakI had paint handy), I show how to add in the two relays, and make this happen.

As you can see, I tied one relay each (yellow Block) into the power wire for each side brake light.(red/yellow wire from connector 12B off the main harness)

You will need to cut the wire, and attach it ot theNC (Normally closed) contacts of the relay.

You need to do this for both rear tail lights, one relay each side after they "y" off.

You will also need to bring two wires from your turn signal circuit into the tour pack. You can pick these up at connector7A splice in and run into the T/P.

Run the left side turn signal wire to the activation contact on the relay for the left side and then run the right side turn signal wire to the right side relay. Pickup a ground for these at the tourpak ground point.

Thats all there is to it. The only drawback may be too much draw per side and the electronic ignition manager getting a bit whacky. (I don't think this will happen with a small enough relay and it being put in parrelell in the turnsignal circuit)
I would prefer to have either a trailer adapter module or a Tri-Star XP Turn Signal to Brake Light/Turn Signal Converter. (note that the dual load equalizer which is a resistive box, is not necessary if you use lamps with filiments, its only required with LED's, or you need an LED turn-signal flasher which ballances the load by electronicly flashing the LED and saves amps)

http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?...products_id=16

http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...es/tristar.asp

Or if you want to build a circuit that allows the bright filiment of both Left and Right bulbs in the rear of the tour pac, you need (4) total relays.

The circuit below is useful for only one side, either L or the R. So you would have to double the components to accomplish the same thing for both sides.

But if you just wanted to run the brake turn signals alone just run the wires up to those rear tour pac bulbs. Then the brake lamp could be a single LED light bar on top the tour pac.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4133/5BE8B9D20C7149BDB9B1499A95C04C1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2007, 11:13 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Ram
I would prefer to have either a trailer adapter module or a Tri-Star XP Turn Signal to Brake Light/Turn Signal Converter. (note that the dual load equalizer which is a resistive box, is not necessary if you use lamps with filiments, its only required with LED's, or you need an LED turn-signal flasher which ballances the load by electronicly flashing the LED and saves amps)

http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?...products_id=16

http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...es/tristar.asp

Or if you want to build a circuit that allows the bright filiment of both Left and Right bulbs in the rear of the tour pac, you need (4) total relays.

The circuit below is useful for only one side, either L or the R. So you would have to double the components to accomplish the same thing for both sides.

But if you just wanted to run the brake turn signals alone just run the wires up to those rear tour pac bulbs. Then the brake lamp could be a single LED light bar on top the tour pac.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4133/5BE8B9D20C7149BDB9B1499A95C04C1C.jpg[/IMG]
The Tri-Star would definately do the trick. You would still need to bring the turn signal wires into the tour pak. And you would also need to provide a power source for the module.

Personally, I would probably just MOD out the tail lights using yellow LEDS wired directly to the turn signal circuit. Possibly a ">" just mounted into the lens.

As with anything, the only limitation is with what you want to do. Getting to that point can normally be achomplished many different ways.