Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New swing arm bushings are as loose as the old ones

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

This kit is similar in design to the Stabo.

I installed these "Nylatron" bushings a couple of months back to replace my worn, early style clevis blocks ( they're about $120.) The 2 bushings on the left had to be pressed into the swingarm and the tranny axle had to be wire wheeled in order to slide into the bushings. Not much play there!

The 2 smaller pieces to the right are the same as the Rivera Primo "Stiffies" and are inserted in the frame bushings that ride under the caps on either side of the frame. They may work well, but transmitted way too much vibration for a touring bike. So I removed them and run just the swingarm bushings and I'm very satisfied with the improved handling.

Last edited by Stiggy; 01-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Yea, I think your right. I was trying to convince myself that the brass stock sitting in his garage would be adequate, but it'd get squashed in just a few rides. Ah well, don't need to buy much.

Guys, don't mistake these metal bushings for the big rubber bushings on the ends of the shaft. I'm talking about the metal bearings in the swing arm. Harley puts a metal bushing in between the bearings and shaft. This bushing is tight in the inner race of the bearing, but loose on the shaft. So loose it can rattle. That's not good! I don't know if it's being made incorrectly, or spec'd wrong by harley. Either way, the new bushings are as loose as the old ones were.
So from what I'm understanding is the shaft is loose inside the bearings? Correct?
it's not the hat shaped bushing that are adjacent to the bearings that sandwich the bearings...It's the actual shaft being undersize...Correct?
So with this said is the hat shaped bushing that sandwich the bearings how do they fit the shaft? Are they over sized as well?
Paul

Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

I think Paul has the idea I have, I'll say it a different way, does the shaft itself show any measurable wear? Perhaps bushings and shaft should be replaced at the same time for proper fit.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
So from what I'm understanding is the shaft is loose inside the bearings? Correct?
it's not the hat shaped bushing that are adjacent to the bearings that sandwich the bearings...It's the actual shaft being undersize...Correct?
So with this said is the hat shaped bushing that sandwich the bearings how do they fit the shaft? Are they over sized as well?
Paul
Close. On an 04, there are two hats. One outside, one inside. The inside one is the problem. Part 48498-02. This part gets pressed tightly into the inner race of the swing arm bearing. The shaft then slips through it. This spacer or bushing or "top hat" fits loosely on the shaft. That's the problem, the looseness on the shaft.

The bushing is so loose on the shaft that the bearing doesn't rotate as the rear wheel moves up and down, instead the bushing rotates around the shaft. The bushings are so loose on the shaft the swing arm can be rocked side to side, clanking lightly, with nearly 1/10" play at the rear wheel.

I suspect many have similar play. My swingarm shaft has no wear, the coating is still on it. The new oem bushings I bought from Harley are almost as loose as the old ones were. Old and new are 0.010" oversize to the shaft.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:45 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior

Thanks for clarifing this...
I have done some research and from what I'm understanding is that the shaft 47505-02 is .750 dia. max or 19.05mm while the ID of the bearings 9208 are .984 dia. or .25 mm...Thats like .234 difference so I can see where you have all that slop between the bearing and the shaft...
For me this makes no sense...Can you say Bagger Wobble
paul

Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that the inner portion of the radial bearing is pinched in compression when the swing arm pivot bolts are tightened.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
I think that the inner portion of the radial bearing is pinched in compression when the swing arm pivot bolts are tightened.
There's not enough torque to pinch the spherical bearing sleeves down when the pivot axle is tightened IMO. If it goes in loose it'll stay loose. Time for an upgrade I think.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior

heres a stupid question for us to ponder
If the ID of the bearings 9208 bearings are 25mm (.984 dia.)
And the swing arm shaft is .750 dia. (19.05mm)
Whats the purpose of these bearings seeing they don't come into contact with the shaft?
are they just a high dollar spacer?
FFT
paul

Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Seriously, they are pinched and the center of the bearings becomes static, it does not move around the swing arm shaft.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Search "bagger wobble solved", great thread about these bearings.

Quick Reply: New swing arm bushings are as loose as the old ones