Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tourers; heat gloves questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Winter tourers; heated gloves questions

Now that I'm in the downward spiral towards a permanent dirt nap, I find it increasingly harder to keep my hands (especially my fingers) warm. There have been a few other fun surprises like having everything that comes within 18" of my face becoming blurry or my knees clicking like I was wearing castanets, but that's another story.

I have decided that heated gloves are in my near future. What I don't like about heated gloves (and winter gloves in general) is that they are super thick and hard to do anything in. I don't like the thick gloves that make your manual dexterity reduced by 75%.

So, with that in mind, are there any heated gloves on the thinner side or even heated liners that you chaps would be willing to stake your reputations on me trying?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love heated gloves but hate thick gloves also. I use the Gerbing G3s I bought on ebay a couple years ago. I tried the T5s but they were waaay too bulky for my liking. The G3s are a little heavier/bulky than my regular leather lined gloves but I can still manage pretty well with them. I figure the trade off of the super warmth they provide is well worth the little bit of inconvenience in the size.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

A company that doesn't get much attention is Powerlet. Their glove liner is some "nanocarbon tech infrared technology something or another". They have no internal wires for heat, the entire glove heats up. I have circulation problems in my fingers and have used these liners with a non-lined deerskin gauntlet as low as 26* on the highway and my hands are toasty warm . While it's a little more trouble putting on a liner and then a glove, there are more options available for the type of top glove to use.. I tried one piece heated gloves and found them to be too bulky. Revzilla.com carries the Powerlet with good pricing.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the battery operated gloves several years ago and love em. I didnt need or want the electric clothing, just wanted gloves with out the wiring. So I went the battery operated route and couldnt be happier. Pretty sure the gloves I purchased through Harley are made by Gerbing for Harley.

Attached Thumbnails Winter tourers; heat gloves questions-heated-gloves-battery.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
I love heated gloves but hate thick gloves also. I use the Gerbing G3s I bought on ebay a couple years ago. I tried the T5s but they were waaay too bulky for my liking. The G3s are a little heavier/bulky than my regular leather lined gloves but I can still manage pretty well with them. I figure the trade off of the super warmth they provide is well worth the little bit of inconvenience in the size.
Thanks! I'll check those out.

Originally Posted by BARACU
A company that doesn't get much attention is Powerlet. Their glove liner is some "nanocarbon tech infrared technology something or another". They have no internal wires for heat, the entire glove heats up. I have circulation problems in my fingers and have used these liners with a non-lined deerskin gauntlet as low as 26* on the highway and my hands are toasty warm . While it's a little more trouble putting on a liner and then a glove, there are more options available for the type of top glove to use.. I tried one piece heated gloves and found them to be too bulky. Revzilla.com carries the Powerlet with good pricing.
Big fan of Revzilla and have seen the Powerlet stuff. Just haven't seen any real reviews on them. I thought about picking up their jacket liner, but didn't want to have a $200 experiment fail. If I can wear them with just my deerskins, I really like that!!

Originally Posted by wndchsr2
I bought the battery operated gloves several years ago and love em. I didnt need or want the electric clothing, just wanted gloves with out the wiring. So I went the battery operated route and couldnt be happier. Pretty sure the gloves I purchased through Harley are made by Gerbing for Harley.
So, these gloves run off batteries? Like AA's or a rechargeable? Also, how long does a charge last?

Thanks for all the input guys!!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Thanks! I'll check those out.

Big fan of Revzilla and have seen the Powerlet stuff. Just haven't seen any real reviews on them. I thought about picking up their jacket liner, but didn't want to have a $200 experiment fail. If I can wear them with just my deerskins, I really like that!!

Thanks for all the input guys!!
I have the jacket liner, too.......long sleeve t shirt, Powerlet liner and mid weight cloth jacket .....good at 26*. If you do it, spend the extra money and get the wireless remote control thermostat. Now you only have one wire that connects the 12v on the bike to the jacket ...no other wires in the way

Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

I bought the Gerbing G3 gloves from Revzilla recently and love not having numb fingers. I don't have the heated jacket liner so the Y cord from the controller to the gloves was kind of a PITA until I safety pinned it in place. You really need to buy the controller with the gloves to regulate the heat, and I opted for the dual controller so I can add the heated jacket liner later. Right now, I don't think I need it.

The dexterity with the gloves on isn't the same as when I have my Summer gloves on, but I can navigate a gas stop with a credit card without removing the gloves for the most part.

I zip tied the controller into an old cell phone case and clipped it on the side of my water bottle holder on the left side bag crash bar. Makes adjustment easy, and if I forget to unplug the cord when I get off the bike, it just unplugs itself without damage.

I see that Gerbing has a T5 hybrid glove now that is either bike powered or rechargeable battery powered, but I couldn't see the extra cost and carrying a charger with me on cold weather trips. Plus, Revzilla did have the G3's on sale last month when I was looking.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by yzergod
So, these gloves run off batteries? Like AA's or a rechargeable? Also, how long does a charge last?
Each glove has its own rechargeable battery.....................I think they are rated at about 6-7 hours continuous use on high. I typically run them at 25-50%, 100% is just too hot, even in the 20's.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I also have the cold hand issue mentioned by the OP. I tried several types of heated gloves, but found them all to thick. I have been using heated grips for about 5 years now. Problem solved. Thinner gloves, and still warm.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I also have the cold hand issue mentioned by the OP. I tried several types of heated gloves, but found them all to thick. I have been using heated grips for about 5 years now. Problem solved. Thinner gloves, and still warm.
I have friends who have the heated grips and they all are very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Winter tourers; heat gloves questions