Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't start after replacing handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Slowmo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default won't start after replacing handlebars

I replaced my stock 2012 RK bars with the heritage style bars this weekend. After getting everything back together the bike won't start while in gear with the clutch pulled but will crank when it's in neutral. All lights (turn signals, brake lights, head and running lights) work correctly, the bike stays running if I put it in gear and ride, no issues with clutch and changing gear or sitting idle in first (or any other gear) at a light or stop sign. Everything seems to be both mechanically and electrically fine while riding. I can't figure out anything that could be causing this. Is there some little safety switch somewhere that I could have messed up or fuse that I could have blown? Do I need to do some minor clutch cable adjustment, and if so which direction?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a clutch switch is broken. I'm going off memory here but I believe there is a pin that sits behind the clutch lever. When you pull the clutch in it engages the pin. The triggers something in the cpu that lets the bike start while in gear. If it broken it will not send the signal and the cpu assumes the bike is in gear and the clutch is not engaged and thus will not allow the bike to start. You can replace the pin or just start the bike in neutral and you should be fine. By the way the pin has nothing to do with the clutch cable, so if it shifts ok when riding you should be fine.

Harley Davidson Part #71584-96A

Last edited by clarkchriston; 01-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It is possible a wire is trapped or dislodged. If it was all fine before you started work, unfortunately you need to carefully retrace your steps to find the problem.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

there is a small microswitch in the left control housing that is very similar to the one on the right for the brake. if you weren't careful removing/installing the clutch lever, you could have broken the tip off the switch.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
there is a small microswitch in the left control housing that is very similar to the one on the right for the brake. if you weren't careful removing/installing the clutch lever, you could have broken the tip off the switch.
I agree with scratch,,,, either broke the tip off or the wiring to it is open (cut) so not making contact for the starter circuit. if you have a volt meter it would be pretty easy to test. paul

Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats what it is...no reason to look beyond that little switch