Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Stud Nut Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007 | 11:16 AM
Lil Truckr
|
Road Captain
Default Exhaust Stud Nut Removal

Well today's the big day. Me and a buddy are going to pull off my cross-over exhaust and install the Fallsac set I purchased. For the past two days I've been soaking the exhaust stud nuts with PB Blaster penetrating oil so hopefully the nuts will come off without any trouble. They have never been off since new, and its a '02, so they are pretty rusty so I was wondering if anyone had any tips that may help me get them off without any problems.

Thanks and say a prayer for me on this project......[sm=feedback.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/CF21B5A790C1449C98B1444A1C5E52F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007 | 12:08 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: Exhaust Stud Nut Removal

You've done the right thing by soaking them - they should come off without any trouble. Remember to use a torque wrench when re-installing them - 120 in/lbs I believe - tighten alternately a little at a time.

Old 03-17-2007 | 12:11 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

The PB should work.

Old 03-17-2007 | 01:49 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer

they will come right off
just did mine in november

Old 03-17-2007 | 01:54 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Hopefully you haven't been riding around the past two days, right? They might already be off by the time you start your project! [sm=escape.gif]

Old 03-17-2007 | 01:55 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Be careful!! After soaking mine and trying to remove mine one in the rear head SNAPPED off in the head, ended up having it machined out.

Old 03-17-2007 | 05:57 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Wondering the same thing. Wonder if worth running engine after soaking nuts - to heat up the studs / nuts. Either that or cut the nuts off - if you can get in there.

Any case, I'm going to soak and heat - when it comes time for my build.

Old 03-17-2007 | 06:49 PM
Lil Truckr
|
Road Captain

Hurry!!!

Soaking the exhaust studs with PB Blaster for the past two days did the trick. The nutscame rightoff without any problems. In fact I soaked all the clamps also and theyalso loosened up without any problem. That PB Blaster is some great stuff...

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it...

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/ECFB4F992489410C821A87DE2CDFD5D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007 | 11:36 PM
RoadKingon
Advanced

I just removed exhaust stud nuts that were VERY rusty and on a 1992 today. I've got a mini torch that can focus on just the nut. I hit the stud with liquid wrench , soaked for a few hours, then turned the nut until it started to tighten (a pending SNAP). Then reversed it back on a turn or two, LW'd it, heated it for 15 seconds with the torch, tried it again and again until the nut spun off. Once a stud unthreaded from a manifold using this approach -- it would have snapped for sure. two others were borderline snapping . Thankfully, now we're looking for new nuts and one stud instead of worrying about a broken one. I'm not big on re-using exhaust stud nuts.

Let us know how easy it was to tighten that rear-lower nut with those pipes. Did you go with the flat or cone exhaust gaskets?

Old 03-18-2007 | 01:01 AM
Lil Truckr
|
Road Captain

Wow Roadkingon you had a hell of a day. Glad to read you were successful in gettin your nuts off. LOL.

I will be installing the tapered (cone) Harley gaskets when I put the exhaust back on. My buddy, who helped me today, picked them up for me and insisted we use this kind instead of the flat ones. He feels they do a better job of sealing the pipe to the head so who was I to argue...

Ride safe...

Quick Reply: Exhaust Stud Nut Removal