Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To go gear driven or stock on cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default To go gear driven or stock on cams

Looking to go for a new cam. Either SE cam or woods 555 or 777, here is the question, conventional dr or gear driven.
Does anyone have any experience on one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

think the shaft run-out will determine which way you have to go.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 PM
captbom1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what engine do you have ??? on my TC88 I went with S&S 510 Gear Drive kit at 30k...glad I did , my tensioners were in pieces and I will never have to worry about them again! Peace of mind well worth it. Picked up the kit on e-bay a few years back for a great price ( sorry cant remember details)

Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

gear driven are thought to be more accurate for cam timing ( valve opening and closing). so that's the plus.
If your model has known weakness with the cam drive system...a real, real plus

Negatives; generally will cost more, install may be more fiddly, and may be noisier.

If I were to do cams, even on an 09, it'd be gear driven

mike

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The short answer is it depends on what your crankshaft runout is. Many posts on this already, but generally speaking the runout tolerance spec from the factory exceeds safe gear drive requirements. I don't know the specific tolerances, but I'm sure someone will post them soon.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer

I have 09 SG with 30K

Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
think the shaft run-out will determine which way you have to go.
Very true, I believe I've read in several places where the max runout is .006, and many, maybe most, engines are well over that. Everything being equal, I much prefer gear drive, so as to never be concerned about shoe wear again. That said, your '09 has the updated system, but at some point in time, those plastic followers will wear out, and going to gear drive takes care of that.

The issue of more accurate timing is a minor thing, and most of us will never be affected by this advantage. It's very possible that the engine will be more noisy, and for many of us, that's a moot point, we rode Harleys when they were MUCH more noisy than today's Twinkie engines. For me, given the ability and budget, oh yeah, no question, I'd go to gear drive, hands down.

Don't forget to replace your lifters, as well...some don't, I'm of the old school persuasion that decrees that you replace lifters when you replace the cam, plus on many Harley engines, lifters don't last that long. Don't scrimp on lifters...they are under a hell of a lotta stress, they are a known trouble point, and when one goes out, you go to the side of the road, and maybe a total engine rebuild if you're unlucky when all those little bearings get strewn thru your oil system!!!

I also highly recommend going to adjustable pushrods, there are advantages with staying with one piece rods, for my money, adjustables are simply a necessary part of the equation...

And do go back and research the many threads on this forum alone on this issue...TONS of information on it.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Thanks very much!
Now Budget and Time...

Old 01-04-2014, 01:47 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harleys have used gear cams since the dawn of time and still do on the Sportsters. However the chain-drive seems to have had its teething troubles ironed out now and if I still had my twincam I would simply upgrade that, rather than bother with checking crank runout.

Quick Reply: To go gear driven or stock on cams