Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do we "have to" modify our Harleys....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Why do we "have to" modify our Harleys....

First off, I'm no genius, nor have I been a Harley owner as long as most, but I have an opinion.

I rode metric sport bikes for a long time, then metric cruisers. My bike previous to my first Harley (an 07 Ultra) was a Kawasaki VN2000 (125 inch water cooled torque monster).

That Kaw V2K really pulled hard, and handled as well as I wanted it to. But it had a headlight only a mother could love, and the factory accessories for it were very very expensive, such as over $400 for a passenger backrest. The factory windshield was an ugly buffeting sheet of plastic. But that motor.....135tq and under 100hp. I put V&H pipes on it and left the stock A/C due to costs. I don't know of a ny cams that were available nor (at that time) were there any performance mods other than perhaps a FuelPak. Never needed any warranty work, no odd sounds, no problems, just power down low.

On my HD's, I was amazed by the accessories available, and what I considered reasonable costs for those accessories. But those motor, puny tq and hp numbers and a distinct lack of get-up-an-go.

But I had lots of choices for working on the motor, from stage I to stage V, there were hundreds of combinations to meet every desired torque curve.

I think one reason the Motor Company sells us these bikes with pinging, lean, EPA compliant motors, and provides a nice selection of upgrades is because we like everything about the bike and the motor except the EPA crap.

Think of it like the Apple vs PC debate. Apple is a closed architecture, with virtually no aftermarket. PC's are wide open and you can build or customize to your heart's content.

So to those who buy a big HD motorcycle and then complain about a $30K bike that pings, I think the other optin is a $30 bike that doesn't ping and makes even less tq and hp, but one that you cannot change pipes, intake, cams, ECM and so on due to design changes that prohibit or make it extremely costly to do.

I was going to keep my '13 RGU stock except for Xied's, but ended up with a really nice riding Stage II for not much money (did my own labor).

To summarize, Harley buyers will need to fork over another $2 grand or so after they buy their bike, and deal with some noises like neutral rattle and noisy valve train but will end up with a very nice looking, sounding, and running machine.

Or they can buy a metric cruiser and end up with a very nice looking and running machine.

On my 07, I put on a thundermax ecm, it already had the SE AC and Rineharts full duals. Traded it at 22K for an 09.

Rode the 09 aver 45K miles, did a stage II se255, AC, stock pipes and mufflers, TTS. Later had to put in man comp releases on my dime. Needed to have the compensator done once under warranty (with new starter), and once on my dime, and did the lifters once on my nickel.

the '13 has over 10K miles on it now, with a Ness BS, V&H slipons, 57H cams, TTS, Dyno by Ed D, mini apes, and a bunch of other small changes. Runs great.

There are no big metrics I'd consider buying, and the HD is not a maintenance free motorcycle.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is stock except for comfort stuff like heated grips and a backrest and hiway pegs. Has plenty of power for me. I rarely get passed and don't
care when I do.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

It is a catch 22. The moco makes inferior performing bikes that cost tens of thousands to buy then thousands more spent so it will get out of its own way. It is BS for sure but if you want to ride a Harley you better be ready to open your wallet.

I have a 41 year old Kaw 900 in stock trim that is half the cc's and more HP than todays Harleys. It is marketing genius at the expense of the consumer.

This is just so it will run right and does not even cover the bling that looks good but has nothing to do with an efficient running bike

Last edited by Kawickrice; 01-04-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

I think there are more 'stock' Harley's out there than you think...

Sure H-D, as well as the aftermarket, makes it WAY easy to upgrade stuff...but there are TONS of bikes out there that go unchanged.

I agree that, compared to other manufacturers, the H-D stuff has a higher percentage of modified bikes...and I agree with your Mac vs. PC comparison...I just think it's kinda more dependent on 'where you spend your time'. Like, here on the Forum, all you ever read is people discussing modifications...but the 'pool' of users is pretty low when compared to H-D ownership.

Go to any other kind of Forum, and you will see the same thing. From specific cars (Camaro, Jetta, Corvette, etc)...to other 'custom' specific sites (4x4, woodworking, etc)...
You will see all sorts of people that get into different stuff.

As far as Harley, I guess guys (and girls too), who have that need/want to 'personalize' their bikes are more 'at home', because the process is more accessible in comparison to other options.

Not sure that's the right response...just kinda what stuck me after reading your post.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it also has a lot to do with the "make it your own" BS marketing Harley campaign. It's all in their literature. I cringe every time I hear someone say they "made it their own" because I know they bought in hook, line and sinker. Same goes for folks that say they have a "totally custom" bike when it is really just loaded up with factory bolt ons...

Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
I think there are more 'stock' Harley's out there than you think...
The only stock Harley's I've ever seen were on the showroom floor lol.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

I have ridden many different Marques and have always added something to increase comfort, handling, etc. Harley is no diferent

Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I think it also has a lot to do with the "make it your own" BS marketing Harley campaign. It's all in their literature. I cringe every time I hear someone say they "made it their own" because I know they bought in hook, line and sinker. Same goes for folks that say they have a "totally custom" bike when it is really just loaded up with factory bolt ons...

So true, then they say I am expressing my individuality. To funny

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Putting the part you like on your bike makes it your own...then the trick is not to sell the bike trying to keep with the jones...

Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Cause it's so damn fun!

Quick Reply: Why do we "have to" modify our Harleys....