Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BrightAssLight Purchase / Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:37 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default BrightAssLight Purchase / Install

I picked up a BAL-3ST today and installed it on my '14 Ultra Limited (FLHTK) when I got home like an excited kid going outside Christmas morning to ride a new bike.

Purchase:
My local dealer is an actual 'distributor' for BAL and usually that means they sell, but don't carry. Surprise surprise they had one in stock. Cool. Ask about the 'security screws' (figured I'd take the easy way out and use the BAL versions). WRONG thing to ask the girl at the parts counter. I had to listen to her diatribe on:

a) "It will never be stolen" / My response: I think for $250 it's an easy target with two Phillips screws

b) "No one will know how much it's worth" / My response: If they're taking a brake light off a Harley, they know what they're doing. It's not like taking a tail light off a '94 Civic that can be sold on any street corner. If you're taking anything off a Harley, you have a clue

c) "Well, if it's ever stolen you can come back and say 'I told you so'" / My response: Nothing. I didn't say "I HAVE HAD LIGHTS STOLEN OFF MY HARELY YOU DUMB BI&%H!!!" (It has indeed happened to me) I realized I was fighting an uphill battle with an uninformed, untrained, and inexperienced minimum wage employee who thought they were the shizel because they work at a Harley dealer so I shut up, let her process my transaction with my 10% discount and high-tail it out of that dealership once and for all.

Installation:
Went great. I see what you're all talking about with the gasket. I think I bunched mine up at the top too much as it didn't stretch down all the way to the bottom flange. There was about 1/4"-3/8" gap between the bottom flange and the gasket. It didn't seem like I could pull it up without tearing the gasket once it'd stuck on the base so I put the light up and it 'seemed' to seat ok so I installed it (with the stock screws).

Adjustment:
First, I think my GF's eyes have been irreparably damaged during the course of going through and testing all the modes several times. Let's not tell her it's permanent damage. I'm kidding. I hope. Anyway, love being able to adjust run intensity and brake patterns without taking anything apart. I'm still not sure what the difference between "Brake Tap" and "Sig Alert" is. Our eyes were starting to bleed at this point so we stopped "testing" patterns. Did I mention it was bright? Four LED's? Bright little fuc&*r's those 4 LED's. Anyway I have the running intensity set at 1 (she's afraid it will incite violence if I use #2 or #3), and I think the pattern is set at pattern #3 (Brake Tap). Can't wait to get some ride time in to see if folks back off a bit more.

Compare to Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobe":
I had a Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobe" on my '12 Street Glide. Realize the only lights on the back of a '12 SG are the two bullet lights and that mickey mouse fender tip "Tri-Light" POS. I loved the CD LED's and Magic Strobe on my SG. I think the Magic Strobe had more 'useful' brake patterns. However, to change it I had to remove the seat and muck with a little gizmo under the seat to adjust it and/or tame down the pattern when I took it in for service (their eyes appreciated it . . . so they told me). For my FLHTK I'm happy with the BAL and really appreciate the capability to change patterns/intensity on the fly. Yes they're pricey, but well worth it to me. And if you had any doubt that "4 Super-LED" lights could be bright enough, let me put that doubt to rest right this minute. Those bastards will blind ya if ya look at 'em right . . . errrr . . . wrong.

Now with a smoked brake light, and the smoked lens over the Custom Dynamic 'Dynamic Ringz' LED front turn signals . . . much to my GF's chagrin, I think I may have to go to the next step and replace the Tour-Pack lights with the smoked version. Lord . . . when will it stop!

Last edited by SoCalMike; 12-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 PM
baldridge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the BAL too, put it on last week. I have no idea which pattern I chose, but its a quick flash and then solid. Cars definitely back off and keep their distance.

I painted my front fender tip light with lens paint, it still looks amber when on, but completes the smoked look. HD doesn't have one for the 14 Limited yet.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm on my 3rd one...only taillight I would put on my bike. The best.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered my BAL from a shop in OR that had them in stock and since I got 2 they shipped it for free. They didn't have the security screws in stock so I went to the local tacoma screw and got a set of security screws for about 1/4th of what they would have cost from the BAL or the dealer. I also got the security key which I think is a torx head with a pin in the middle of it.