Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do stock mufflers sound with catless header?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013 | 10:24 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master
Default How do stock mufflers sound with catless header?

I really like the look of the factory exhaust. But i do want a better sound. Was thinking of having my header de-catted. Wondering if this is a complete was a complete waste of money if i dont change out the muffler as well.

Thank you

Old 12-28-2013 | 10:31 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain

Find a stock 2009, they didn't have cats in the head pipe.

Old 12-28-2013 | 11:32 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

I'm going this route too. I just received today my new Jackpot 2/1/2 header and will keep the stock mufflers. Decatting will make it sound different but you will need to be the judge whether it's "better"

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:07 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Decatting will make it sound different but you will need to be the judge whether it's "better"
a few of the Riders here have been happy with stock 2010+ mufflers and a no cat header.

mike

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:26 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

It will sound better

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:31 AM
mcain49
Road Master

Removing the cat from the header will make the exhaust sound a little more throaty and slightly louder but the difference is minimal. It will sound a little better, but don't expect a huge difference and you will probably be satisfied with the results.

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:32 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master

I should have added that this decision is not meant to save money, i just really like the look of the stock mufflers.

If there is an alternative i should look into please let me know. I did just run across the B&E stock modified mufflers, that might be worth a look to pair with a catless header.

saw them here:
http://www.superflowmufflers.com/products.htm

Old 12-29-2013 | 01:03 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master
Default Any improvement in the 14's airbox?

Considering doing modded stock mufflers + catless pipe + factory airbox with a KNN or equiv.

In the past i've read that this isnt optimal due to the box itself being the issue with the air flow. But I actually really like this new airbox on my 14 RK, and would love to keep it if possible.

Would it be terrible if i just plopped a better breathing filter in there? Or is there another way i can keep this box, but still do a ST1? thank you

EDIT, would also love some feedback on when a tuner is needed. If im doing mufflers+pipes+AC, do i just assume i also need a tuner? If its just a minimal performance upgrade, i would skip it.

Last edited by rsarno; 12-29-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2013 | 01:24 AM
Hausguy
Road Master

I believe your air cleaner already breathes better than pre 2014 bikes. Removing the cat or getting a real header shouldn't "require" a tuner per-se as the ECM should adjust for this minor change. That said, your bike will probably run better with a tune.

Old 12-29-2013 | 01:55 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Removing the cats make the stock exhaust sound a bit louder and deeper.

Many have found this to be the Cinderella setup with just a bit more bark, but still quiet enough to make longer distance rides not fatiguing.

American Custom offers a setup where you can change out the baffles in the stock exhaust. Pretty inexpensive compared to buying new slip ons, and you can adjust your stock pipes from quiet to Loud to LOUD! with just a minute to switch out the baffles.

Quick Reply: How do stock mufflers sound with catless header?