Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SG Special speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Has anyone upgraded the stock infotainment stereo system speakers? They sound pretty good as stock but I know how some of us are, lol. So far, biketronics don't have set for them "yet" don't know who else does... But overall I'm very impressed w the stock sound but it could be made better
Biketronics does have the 6.5" Titan IIs.. Call Bill directly.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoZoomMe
I had just the opposite experience. I think the 6.5 Boom upgrade speakers, no amp, were a noticeable improvement. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 SGS, I upgraded to the 6.5 Boom Audio Spkrs and noticed a little improvement. Since the speaker now fills the hole completely, it has some better sound, but lacks the power from the base radio amp. For those who need to know, the stock speakers are matched to the radio power amp exactly. MOCO pushes the upgrade to BOOM SPKRS, but do not tell you that the radio amp does not have the power to drive the bigger speakers requirements. Hence, they push for you to purchase the BOOM Audio Amp upgrade. Mine sounded better with the stock, but lack enough power on hard fast rides. I will be upgrading to an amp soon.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by onedae
FYI -I upgraded to the Boom 6.5" speakers only; NOT the amp. Result was terrible. Although the P&A book doesn't say that you need an amp with the upgraded speakers - you really do. I have not heard the upgraded speakers with the Boom amp but for their price there is better equipment to be had. So if you are planning on changing speakers only, the HD Boom speaker upgrade is not the way to go. I changed back to my stock 5.25" speakers and the stock system is pretty decent. I am waiting a bit to change anything to see what the aftermarket offers.
not sure what bike you're referring to but if pre-14 I can certainly understand your comments as I feel the same way. The 14s though, are a different beast altogether and the BA speakers are a relevant and inexpensive upgrade. They will sound better with an amp though. Are there better speakers, absolutely. You've got kicker CS67 that have been installed, Biketronics 6.5" TitanII speaker that have been installed (call Bill directly and ask him how to do this until the kits are available on the website), among several others (aftermarket) with great success.

Keep in mind that HD designed this system in a "matching" manner meaning speakers are matched to head unit and head unit is matched to speakers. If you change speakers, add amp, etc. it changes the entire picture for you. This is the reason J&M, Biketronics, HawgWired, Arc Audio, etc. are all redesigning their amps to accommodate this DSP feature of the stock head unit.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Musicians know music and true fidelity, I'm not saying that I am a professional musician but I do play music and I know one thing that J&M is ok for those that don't know about true music, it a well marketed brand, just like Boom Audio is, however, each ear is independent to each other. Meaning that your opinions may vary from mine, etc. However, if you do your homework, you will find out that J&M audio products suck, they produce loud music but not PURE music. Upgrade to Focal speakers, Focal tweeters, nice solid amp or biketronic speakers which are real good for the asking price, Rockfords, etc. I prefer Focal, Biketronics speakers. I "USED" to have a "J&M" and a "Boom Audio" system on my touring bikes, they are just loud music which distort and hurt your ear after extended listening times. I'm a purist, I only listen to tube audio equipment, I don't buy my audio from Best Buy, or any brick and mortar store. Most of my audio equipment is either handmade or made in Germany, Italy, France and of course America. Not trying to sound arrogant, etc but I'm just sharing my own personal opinion and what I know about music, not just a high marketed brand that seems to win people's attn by all the noise that they make, at the end its just loud noise and not true music...

I may be a tone deaf old bugger but I don't think anybody can enjoy PURE music on a motorcycle at 75 miles per hour. I can't comment on J&M speakers as I am using the stock speakers in my 2014 Ultra limited and I have added their 360 watt amp. In my opinion it has improved both the sound quality and of course volume. I am a little confused are Focal and Biketronic speakers one in the same or two different brands?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
I may be a tone deaf old bugger but I don't think anybody can enjoy PURE music on a motorcycle at 75 miles per hour.

Next time you find yourself in Houston, look me up.. Be glad to let you test ride the vtwin powered boom box where you'll be proven wrong and will certainly pull back up with a smile on your face.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Smile

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Next time you find yourself in Houston, look me up.. Be glad to let you test ride the vtwin powered boom box where you'll be proven wrong and will certainly pull back up with a smile on your face.

Well Houston sure beats the -23 degrees outside my door right now.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Well Houston sure beats the -23 degrees outside my door right now.
LOL.. I bet it does. Everyone says summers here suck.. But it's one of only a few places in the US I can ride all year round

Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

sent you a pm

Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Musicians know music and true fidelity, I'm not saying that I am a professional musician but I do play music and I know one thing that J&M is ok for those that don't know about true music, it a well marketed brand, just like Boom Audio is, however, each ear is independent to each other. Meaning that your opinions may vary from mine, etc. However, if you do your homework, you will find out that J&M audio products suck, they produce loud music but not PURE music. Upgrade to Focal speakers, Focal tweeters, nice solid amp or biketronic speakers which are real good for the asking price, Rockfords, etc. I prefer Focal, Biketronics speakers. I "USED" to have a "J&M" and a "Boom Audio" system on my touring bikes, they are just loud music which distort and hurt your ear after extended listening times. I'm a purist, I only listen to tube audio equipment, I don't buy my audio from Best Buy, or any brick and mortar store. Most of my audio equipment is either handmade or made in Germany, Italy, France and of course America. Not trying to sound arrogant, etc but I'm just sharing my own personal opinion and what I know about music, not just a high marketed brand that seems to win people's attn by all the noise that they make, at the end its just loud noise and not true music...

Well then you tell us whats best on this 14 bike...... You started discussion but only want our opinion just a observation.

Quick Reply: 2014 SG Special speakers?