Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security or no security

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"Is the chirp something that the security system used to do" ... If you have the "optional siren" it will chirp. Check the threads for installing the HD siren or the Radio Shack siren.
I have the siren, and the pager. No chirp.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 AM
futat2
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I always pass on the security system. I mean its a bike and if someone is gonna take it they will find a way. I prefer not to have extra damage to my bike if i get it back.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When activated, the Security System Fob arm and disarm commands are confirmed with blink feature, and '07-later models can be programmed to emit a chirp.

This came from the description of Harley-Davidson® 68328-06A. Sounds like we can make it chirp or not.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't use the security because my last two Harley's were 2001 & 2006 models where you had to push the button on the fob. My current bike is a 2006 boss hoss and I installed a aftermarket power sports alarm in it. I forget to use that one also.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll never have one because I'm to forgetful.

Me and a buddy went and did the BRP and spent the night at Maggie Vally, saw the wheels through time museum and partied in town that night. Next day went to Cherokee for lunch and then went and did the dragon on a massive hang over. Stopped on the other side of the dragon to take pictures and rest for a bit and then headed back through the dragon again. Stopped to get fuel and when we got ready to leave my buddies night rod's four ways started blinking. He left his fob in his back pack on the other side of the dragon, so I got to ride it again solo. There during daylight and back for the second time in the dark, not as fun! He didn't know how to deactivate his alarm so like others have mentioned if you get it don't forget your code!

Notice, no back pack straps!

Attached Thumbnails Security or no security-dragon.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 02:23 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh brother . . . . My two cents . . .

a) Do you really need complete strangers to tell you whether to spend an extra $400 on a security device for your $25K motorcycle? You knew you'd get 400 different answers, riiiiiight?! Personally, it's worth $400 just so I don't have to deal with the confusion and conflict of 400 different answers!

b) All kidding aside. Why wouldn't you? it's not going to stop the professionals, but it'll stop most opportunistic thieves. Once you have it you can always go the "economical" route put in the $6 Radio Shack solution so it 'chirps'. But, that's kinda like my high school friends who used to drive around in the heat of summer with all the windows rolled up so everyone would think they had AC. They looked good until they got out of the car and they were sweating like pigs. The Radio Shack solution is good (seriously), but one quick snip and it'll shut it right up.

And if you leave your key/fob on the bike . . . well . . . . . that's just genius at work right there.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
The Radio Shack solution is good (seriously), but one quick snip and it'll shut it right up.
you know, people say this, but i have to wonder, how many thieves are gonna know whether or not it's the hd siren or the radio shack siren making all that racket?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer

I don't think they will, but I like the idea that the HD will page me. Not sure if anything will keep it from getting gone if they want it bad enough, but at least I'll know before waking up the next morning.. And finding my ride is gone.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you know, people say this, but i have to wonder, how many thieves are gonna know whether or not it's the hd siren or the radio shack siren making all that racket?
You have to think that if it's someone who didn't walk away at the siren knows enough to pull the left side panel and figure it out. And actually, the professional bike thief is going to pull the left cover before they start and look to see what they are dealing with...at least that's what one of the investigators for TDPS auto theft unit says. He also says that they have very few bikes that had a siren with a battery backup stolen. Most bikes are the ones that are either easy, or very customized, making it more attractive. But then, what do they know? :-)

Last edited by Guitardude; 12-28-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guitardude
You have to think that if it's someone who didn't walk away at the siren knows enough to pull the left side panel and figure it out. And actually, the professional bike thief is going to pull the left cover before they start and look to see what they are dealing with...at least that's what one of the investigators for TDPS auto theft unit says. He also says that they have very few bikes that had a siren with a battery backup stolen. Most bikes are the ones that are either easy, or very customized, making it more attractive. But then, what do they know? :-)
Excellent news, thanks for that, ordering my siren and pager Monday! Why not right? What the hell do they know??

Quick Reply: Security or no security