Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security or no security

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I have a friend that works at the plant. He recommended me not get it when I bought my new ride. For one he said it shortens the life of the battery.
For me.... My security is my insurance policy
He probably meant it would run the battery down faster. Maybe if you don't ride for a few months it would make a difference. But thats why you put a battery tender on the bike when it's stored.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by dickey
Stupid fob bullshit.
Mine all work fine! Am I missing out on something?! I think not......

Old 12-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Bigboyride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejvette
I just like the little chirping noise as I walk away from my sled makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
I have the security system, but not the siren. Did you add the HD siren? Also do you have the pager and if so do you like the pager? OP I would totally add the security system, love just leaving the fob in jacket or jeans while riding.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently, some participants in this thread are unaware that the security system uses electricity to monitor the bike for motion and fob presence even when the ignition is off. It's not the bike battery I was concerned about when I had the security system, though: it was the fob battery. I never knew the bypass code, and had never taken the time to figure out how to set it or work it. If that fob battery had died, I'd have been in trouble!

Some have already mentioned the hassle when moving the bike around the garage. That much was true for me as well, but I didn't have the siren, so I would often move it and just let it flash its little heart out for a few minutes. It was sometimes a pain to have to run get the keys for a short warm-up run before an oil change, for example, but really, Harleys are the only vehicles that have ever consistently let you do that without keys, so if you don't already have that expectation, then not being able to do that is no loss.

I bought my Ultra with the 6.5-inch touchscreen but no security system. Wanna know what I missed most? If I put the key into a pocket full of change, I could not distinguish the key from a quarter in a split second with my fingertips. The fob had always helped me with that in the past. So, I asked Santa for a nice, high-quality keyring, leather with a pewter bar-and-shield emblem I'd found on Ebay, and now I don't miss the security system at all. If it won't pay for itself in insurance savings, I'd suggest... skip it.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with dickey. We have one with and one without the factory security. I have my own on my bike, cost about 5 bucks and just as effective as the 400 dollar one. The fob is normally in a windshield pouch or saddle bag any way so it wouldn't do much good. I liked the old style that you had to arm but not this new one.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the security. Get the Harley SmartSiren. Get the battery operated pager. The RS siren is a snip and a pull and it's gone, the Harley smart siren has it's own battery and someone can take it off but it won't shut up until the battery is dead. The pager let's you know someone is messing with the bike. 150-175 for the pager and siren. And if your insurance isn't giving a discount for the security, you might want to look at the coverage...

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose if I just rode to work and around town, I'd be happy to do without the security system. Yeah, it's a pain sometimes to move the bike around, I added the siren and it doesn't just flash now. I travel with mine and I like the extra peace of mind when it's parked out in front of some hotel. Added the pager too. Has all that kept my bike from being stolen? I don't know. Pager went off at a hotel in Atlanta one night. I ran down and all I found were other pissed off people that got woke up. Did it mess up? I don't think so, it's not done that before or since. Did someone try and steal it. Don't know that either. But it was still there and that's all I care about. Pay the extra, or don't. It's up to you. I wouldn't have one without it. IMO the only flaw in the system is that it's possible to have your fob on a work bench, start up and ride away without it. MOCO should fix that.

One question though. Some say that they like that the system chirps when it arms. My 2012 doesn't do that. Lights flash, but no chirp. Is the chirp something that the security system used to do?

Ride Safe

David

Old 12-28-2013, 09:21 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my Ultra with the security system.........Never had it before and figured I didnt need it. Now after having the security on this bike...........I like the peace of mind it affords.

So with that said, if I were buying a new bike it would have the security system installed.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,942 Likes on 19,380 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
I suppose if I just rode to work and around town, I'd be happy to do without the security system. Yeah, it's a pain sometimes to move the bike around, I added the siren and it doesn't just flash now. I travel with mine and I like the extra peace of mind when it's parked out in front of some hotel. Added the pager too. Has all that kept my bike from being stolen? I don't know. Pager went off at a hotel in Atlanta one night. I ran down and all I found were other pissed off people that got woke up. Did it mess up? I don't think so, it's not done that before or since. Did someone try and steal it. Don't know that either. But it was still there and that's all I care about. Pay the extra, or don't. It's up to you. I wouldn't have one without it. IMO the only flaw in the system is that it's possible to have your fob on a work bench, start up and ride away without it. MOCO should fix that.

One question though. Some say that they like that the system chirps when it arms. My 2012 doesn't do that. Lights flash, but no chirp. Is the chirp something that the security system used to do?

Ride Safe

David
"Is the chirp something that the security system used to do" ... If you have the "optional siren" it will chirp. Check the threads for installing the HD siren or the Radio Shack siren.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I's really not a must have item just another gadget so you can show off to the ones don't have.

Quick Reply: Security or no security