Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Many A/C posts

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Too Many A/C posts

So I know there is many posts in the past pertaining to this or that when it comes to A/C.

I like the look of the Screamin Eagle Ventilator Performance Air Cleaner Kit-29490-09. My question is, does it deliver the same air flow as a Stage 1 unit. I have looked and looked at posts and Google'd it and so confused.

The reason I ask, it clearly states when adding a Stage 1, one must adjust the ECM, this unit states that it is not required. Hint that it does not breath like the others. I am already using a Stage 1, Full Jackpot exhaust and I have a PV ll tuner. I don't want to restrict it from breathing as it already can. I will use a K&N filter with the Screamin Eagle Ventilator if I go that route.

Any Help/Clarity would be greatly appreciated..

Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

almost all hi flow air cleaners* flow more potentially than the motor can demand- most owner choices are purely looks

"stage 1" refers to replacing stock restrictive air cleaner and exhaust with hi flow ( and tuning compensation- of which there are various methods.)

I am assuming you have the screaming eagle. - that and the Ness big sucker flow about 260 CFM, the stock evo air cleaner was about 135 CFM.
the ventilator would offer no gains unless your filter is clogged.
If you do get one of these, get the chrome version, cast grey looks like crap and against the heads

( the 2014 stock air cleaner appears to be high flow- I have yet to see CFM numbers for them)

mike

* the "hype-charger" from krapkin being a notable exception

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:35 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

funny HD indicates in two places on the product listing ECM reprogramming required and one spot where it says the opposite. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-18-2949009--1

If you are doing just slip ons and an intake, American Iron and others have proven that you don't need to do a reprogram. Stage 1 download is not worth a lot, but does give you some extra RPM since it bumps the limiter up.

Some will go with XIEDs or Vieds to richen the mixture some. Google search will bring up more stuff on this subjet thaan you can read in a night....

BTW, I have one of this on my RK and I love it. Has a great sound over a stage one with a stock cover.

Last edited by jakenok; 12-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:41 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
funny HD indicates in two places on the product listing ECM reprogramming required and one spot where it says the opposite. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-18-2949009--1

If you are doing just slip ons and an intake, American Iron and others have proven that you don't need to do a reprogram. Stage 1 download is not worth a lot, but does give you some extra RPM since it bumps the limiter up.

Some will go with XIEDs or Vieds to richen the mixture some. Google search will bring up more stuff on this subjet thaan you can read in a night....
you don't HAVE to reprogram for anything you do. Is it advised? most certainly is to make the motor operate at efficient levels. Rule of thumb has always been if you do one or the other, no remapping is required. If you do both, then it should be done.

To the OP: As mkguitar pointed out most stage1 and up breather assemblies will more than likely flow more air than your motor will ever need.

To answer your question about whether it (ventilator) flows more air than the stage1 kit, it will and there are charts available from HD to show you exactly how much but realistically speaking most A/C swaps are about appearance. A stage1 A/C kit will provide ample air flow for anything up to about 115TQ and 105HP is what I'm told by the experts. This is far more than most of us will see with our mild builds.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-24-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:46 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I added the ventilator A\C, SE slip-ons and the HD reprogram. The primary reason I went with the ventilator was looks. I really prefer it. Overall the bike did wake-up more. Plenty performance for me.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:43 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

when i had my bike (12 CVO 110) on the dyno, I took the heavy breather off as i was installing the ventilator because i liked it better. My dyno guy did one run with NO air cleaner before installing the ventilator. Bike made one additional HP/TQ without air cleaner vs the ventilator.

I think the ventilator flows about as much air as the engine will ever be able to handle. certainily as good as anything else around.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
almost all hi flow air cleaners* flow more potentially than the motor can demand- most owner choices are purely looks

"stage 1" refers to replacing stock restrictive air cleaner and exhaust with hi flow ( and tuning compensation- of which there are various methods.)

I am assuming you have the screaming eagle. - that and the Ness big sucker flow about 260 CFM, the stock evo air cleaner was about 135 CFM.
the ventilator would offer no gains unless your filter is clogged.
If you do get one of these, get the chrome version, cast grey looks like crap and against the heads

( the 2014 stock air cleaner appears to be high flow- I have yet to see CFM numbers for them)

mike

* the "hype-charger" from krapkin being a notable exception
I did the heavy breather for looks - I like it :-)

Attached Thumbnails Too Many A/C posts-image.jpg  
Old 12-25-2013, 03:16 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
I did the heavy breather for looks - I like it :-)
... same here, but fully open. I will say it is good to 115rwhp/124rwt.