Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
heavyd1951
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system question

I have a 2006 RG with the factory security system. Has anybody ever heard of another fob or work-around to use another remote? I have a pocket full of little boxes and would like to consolidate them. Thanks

Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you know the code that Bluetooth your security system is using, and know how to reprogram one of the other devices you have to it...nope.

You CAN go buy one from Harley....

Old 12-21-2013, 07:11 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You know . . . . I've heard if you go to Radio Shack, pick up a $6 generic remote you can use that instead of paying HD $100 each . . . . All ya have to do is wear red underwear with white polkadots, lay only on your right side while installing it, drink IPA (1, not 2), and use a yellow/black Stanley screwdriver, and tap your head three times to program it and it's way cheaper than the rip off HD unit.

Yeah, you can use any left over remote on the planet for the security on your RG. Makes sense.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 PM
heavyd1951
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiseass, I'm not trying to steal a bike. I have two of the factory remote fobs, along with a Viper remote for my truck, a Kia alarm fob for my car, and a Ford remote for the OL's car. What I want is to not have to carry a pocketful of little plastic boxes, if there is a way to use one box for more than one system, kinda like a universal tv remote, if you have heard of those...

Old 12-22-2013, 11:28 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't want to sound like a wiseass too, but when I ride I only carry my bike key ring and FOB. I put a house key and key to my locker at work on my bike key ring. I figure I don't need car or truck keys when I'm on the bike.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but if you could have one universal remote to work every vehicle and every aftermarket alarm system it would kinda defeat the purpose, now wouldn't it? Besides, like 'The Q' said, how many keys do you need to have when you're on your bike. It's not like you're on a scavenger hunt and you have to go from your bike, to your truck, to your Kia, to your whatever, to your whatchamacallit . . . . do ya? Much cheaper to buy a few key rings. Well, I do know that carrying 300 keys tends to make some folks feel important. But you're not 'that guy' since you want to reduce the number of things to carry. I have a key ring with an ignition key and house key for each of my 2 cars, and each of my 2 bikes.

Last edited by SoCalMike; 12-22-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:18 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but if you could have one universal remote to work every vehicle and every aftermarket alarm system it would kinda defeat the purpose, now wouldn't it?
A 'universal remote' doesn't have to mean that one remote works for every Harley, Ford or Chevy without the proper authorization code. Other people in my neighborhood can have the same smart garage door remote that I have and they can't open my door as they drive by, can they? When I change the channel on my t.v., I don't think the neighbors are now watching the same channel as me.

While I don't know that anyone has created one yet, why can't there be a single remote that could be coded to a specific remote button, allowing you to open the garage door, start your Harley, your Ford, or Kia, or whatever. The remote would be coded to your specific vehicles, not generically to all Fords and all Harley's. I'd buy one; it can get ridiculous carrying all the remotes each vehicle manufacturer makes you carry, and the size of the remotes keep getting bigger.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 12-23-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When on my bike i carry my bike key ring.
When in my truck i carry my truck key ring each has a house key.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

I recently rented a car in which the remote was also the key, one end fitted into a slot in the ignition lock. If that idea catches on and each manufacturer uses its own configuration, this very practical idea will never work. To answer the OP, I have never heard of a universal remote in the car industry, but doesn't mean one doesn't exist, or perhaps there is money to made in this area.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a large key ring with every key on it that I carry 24/7. Then I have a separate key ring with 1 key and fob for each vehicle. I can only drive one at a time and I usually know before I walk out the door which one I'm using. If in the yard and need to grab something out of one of the vehicles I have my big key ring with keys for everything and just unlock that vehicle to gain entry.