Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight aiming suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Headlight aiming suggestions.

I need some ideas and input on my headlight. The problem... The headlight is pointing too dang high. This was never a problem with my standard bulb, but with my new 80/100 bulb, its a problem. Heres why:

The bike is a 2013 Road King. Its lowered 1 inch in the rear and the front is probably 1-1.5 inches raised because of the taller 21 inch tire. I MAXED OUT THE ADJUSTER to the point the headlight is starting to pull the headlight ring away from the housing. There is simply no more adjustment. Other than raising the rear back up to the stock height, or dropping the front end an inch or two.....what are my options. This HAS to be a pretty common problem, and its really bad with the wife on the back. With a passenger all I get is oncoming traffic flashing their brights at me. And I damn near blind oncoming traffic if I flash back.

Suggestions please.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,975 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Slot the screw holes with a rat tail file.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2014 Ultra and the first time I rode it at night was insane. The headlight was pointing almost directly in from to the bike. There couldn't have been any more than 20' from the front tire to the edge of the beam of light. I took the headlight trim ring off and found that the top adjust had no more adjustment in it. I also found that there were a left and right adjuster and they were turned in pretty far as well. So I loosened the left and right adjuster and the bottom of the headlight began to come out thus raising the beam of light.

I don't know how many adjusters you headlight has but if it has three try out what I did above.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks guys, I guess this weekend I will pull the housing apart and see what can be done.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First thing I'd do is check to make sure the bulb is seated properly. I've ran into this before on my cages and it's almost always the bulb isn't seated right. Felt like it was when installed, but going back in and double checking usually found that it wasn't. Once seated correctly, it was fine.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Put the standard bulb back in.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

You lowered the back of the bike and you raised the front of the bike. I think you know what your up against. There simply isn't anymore room for adjustment. I don't know of a magic wand that will magically solve your problem short of doing some major engineering to repoint your headlight.
I got nothing.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:16 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I would think you could get some longer screws for the retaining ring that holds the light in place, make up a shim of something like strips of a inner tube glued to the top of the light and get back some of the adjustment.
In pics in magazines of custom baggers look closely and the headlights point upwards at a totally useless angle, another indicator that they are almost worthless to use as a actual touring bike.

After taking a look at mine and how you describe that it is pushing the trim ring out you may need to look at removing some materiel from the trim ring too. I would just raise the rear back up.

Last edited by bigheadted; 12-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,975 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Meant to say..Slot the screw holes with a rat tail file and move the whole headlight bucket..Ha till you look at it.. Then you wonder what else you would be lining up to compensate for moving the bucket shells..

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loosen your triple tree's & slide your forks up to lower your front end.

Quick Reply: Headlight aiming suggestions.