Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Road Glide Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 PM
jayzee75
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Road Glide Exhaust

I just bought a 2013 Road Glide and trying to determine what exhaust to get. Can anyone tell me what the performance difference is between 2-1 and duals? Why would someone put a 2-1 on a touring...for looks? Or is there a performance gain? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM
zwildman
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally, 2-1 will help develop more power with the right intake and tuner. A poor 2-1 against a well designed dual system would probably break even or be even less. There's a lot of good information on this site and a lot of people here with much better experience and knowledge than I have. This information helped me pick out my Bassani Road Rage II for my Road Glide which was also recommended by my buddy who runs our local indie shop. One thing to think about is future upgrades; cams, headwork, big bore kit, etc. which directed me to the Bassani. I think the Road Rage II is rated up to 120 hp which is way more headroom than I will need in the near future but will allow me to upgrade later without needing a complete new exhaust. New cans maybe but the headers should be good to go.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like the true dual systems, look, and sound then I think MGS and Rinehart make the best systems. You will probably give up a couple foot pounds of torque in the low RPM range com paired to a 2-1-2 system. I run the Vance & Hines Power Duals 2-1-2 head pipe and so do the three guys I ride with on a daily basis. I went with VH because I wanted a 2-1-2 system and really like the unique look of the X crossover on the power duals. One of the bikes I ride with is a 2013 RG with power duals and twin slash slip ons. The bike sounds good and with the AC and tuner he says it runs much better than stock. It really comes down to what look you like and the sound you want. With the 4" Rineharts the sound is very deep and I can still hear the radio just fine at hwy speeds.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

what header design works best is a topic of constant argument here.
There are published comparos on the web- you can look at dyno charts and see for yourself.

The benefits of some systems only occur with certain other components added or under specific conditions ( such as a narrow rpm range)

baggers have a large chassis and can support a large volume exhaust system- so a 2/1 may not display the same benefits as it may compared to a smaller volume dyna or softail exhaust

my suggestions:

keep it warranty compliant until the motor has proven itself

go to a bike night ( only 6 months for you...) and see hear other pipes

Mick Cawthorne at Kanes is a racer- he really knows his stuff.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Call Frank at Drago's bike works. He sells 2:1 and true duals and will be glad to discuss the pros and cons of both at any level of detail you would like. If the look of a 2:1 is a hangup for you ghost pipes are available. I have his 2:1 Dragula on my 13 RG and couldn't be happier (no ghost pipe). Awesome sound, flawless chrome and meticulous welds and fit/finish. A great product equaled only by the customer service he provides. Since you're on a RG, check out roadglide.org, a lot of threads on the topic in the exhaust section. I have a youtube video showing the Dragula and a D&D 2:1 on the wife's softail at this link:

Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM
jayzee75
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Your stock exhaust is in essence a 2-into-1 with twin mufflers. The important part is bringing the two pipes together, so the exhaust pressure pulses from the two cylinders can work with each other. They generally give good power, but great low/mid range torque. True duals are in turn drag pipes with mufflers. They may give great top end, when each cylinder gets into its stride, but in general give poorer results in the low/mid range.

On my 107" I swapped from TDs to a Supertrapp (see sigpic) and picked up 15% increased torque in the low/mid range. Headline numbers were almost the same, but the bike is much smoother running and rides much better. Dyno tune on both set-ups was done by the same shop.

I think it was BSA, back in the late 50s/early 60s, who discovered by accident that siamesing the two pipes on a twin gave an increase in torque, for rideability. Every twin manufacturer on the planet followed suit, including Harley with their oddball effort that was only replaced with the 09 bikes. The touring bikes have consistently been advertised with a little more torque than the other models.