Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all you Ohlin fan(atics)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts
Default For all you Ohlin fan(atics)...

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/12...ouring-models/

Ohlins now has front fork kits for Harley touring bikes. Ignore the price, I'm sure this will be a must-have item for the ultimate tourer.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I love my rear Ohlins, but a simple drop in cartridge does nothing for the sorry *** fork triple tree and clamp design of 2013 and prior models. Flexing and twisting of the front forks cannot be fixed by drop-in cartridges regardless of who manufacturers them.

Howard is supposed to be working on clamping and a real adjustable front end, but he is taking a long time to get it done.

The larger front fork diameters and new clamp design in the 2014's addressed the poor design that was ignored for years by HD.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
The larger front fork diameters and new clamp design in the 2014's addressed the poor design that was ignored for years by HD.
True dat. But then they stuffed the same old sorry dampening system in, or will sell us the upgrade that should have been standard for $350.00. Plus installation.

I'm hoping Progressive comes out with Monotubes that will fit the larger forks soon. If not, it'll be back to the HD alter with money in hand.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Progressive mono tubes are completely different, they are tiny gas pressurized shocks that install inside your forks. The Ohlins is a damping cartridge that sits inside the fork tube in an oil bath. I do not know the specifics but I'd guess the Ohlins set up uses 4x the oil that the Progressive does and you can change oil levels, oil viscosity and adjust compression and rebound damping. The Progressive monotubes offer none of this type of adjustability. 2 completely different products.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

don't thrash me please,but if ohlins are that much better than prog.why are they so many for sale on the board,and if they are set up for one bike and rider they would have to on same kind of bike and rider the same weight,right?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Progressive mono tubes are completely different, they are tiny gas pressurized shocks that install inside your forks. The Ohlins is a damping cartridge that sits inside the fork tube in an oil bath. I do not know the specifics but I'd guess the Ohlins set up uses 4x the oil that the Progressive does and you can change oil levels, oil viscosity and adjust compression and rebound damping. The Progressive monotubes offer none of this type of adjustability. 2 completely different products.
True 'dat.

The Monotubes are a HUGE improvement over the stock internals, but they're still a one-size-fits-all approach to the problem. The Ohlins cartridges would appear to be a far more tuneable solution, with a setup like Howard's working on being better still as it can be adjusted with the cartridges still in the fork tubes.

And yes, none of these address the clamping issue. For that, you have to go with the CCE or wait for Howard to finish testing his solution.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Mono tubes are junk IMO Wasted time installing and removing to sell. Ogling has a reputation that precedes them. The clamping triple trees may very well be the solution to help the wobble

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

The cartridges in the link will only fit 2014 and up bikes, with 49mm forks. Howard has them available already for the Dyna and other models, but touring bikes up to 2013 need new trees, to take 49mm tubes. He has posted an update recently here.