Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SE compensator for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM
lewain
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New SE compensator for 2014

Has anyone installed one of these? Would love to see some pictures if so.
Dealer is not supposed to sell the adhesive to us and actually the dealer told me they could not get it. On backorder. What does this glued on flapper do and why can't I use JB Weld?
Is that flapper really needed?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I have, looked just like the other SE Comp I had in there except it had an allen bolt instead of hex head. I ordered the glue and kit online from part numbers from another thread.
I think the plastic flapper is used to help throw lube on the comp, if you don't want to install it you could also order a 2014 primary cover that has it already cast in?

Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

I'm not clear on your frame of reference. If you have seen pictures of the previous SE comp installation, there is little difference in the work involved. As previously mentioned, the new comp is now held in place with a torx head bolt (T70 bit available at Autozone and NAPA for starters). The smaller bolt head exposes at least 6 small holes spaced around the center of the hub and they are drilled so they slant toward the outer circumference as they pass through the hub so oil is slung outward into the previously unlubed journal of the sprocket/hub interface. The little plastic pieces are designed to catch the primary oil slung around by the chain and sprockets and drip it onto the hub area to feed those little passages. The cam has been redesigned with wider faces to spread the spring load over a larger surface and the sprocket spokes have ridges to hopefully improve the oil flow into the cam/spoke interface. I understand that the thrust bearing is now made with needle bearings rather than just a washer or a ventilated washer in the mark 2 SE comp. They have at least addressed all of the known weak spots but only time will tell if the fixes are successful.

Your sig shows you have an 08 and unless you have already installed the first SE comp (which came with a new rotor) you will also need to buy a new rotor. The factory 08 rotor has a small housing on it containing a coil spring and that is not compatible with the conical washer springs used on the new comps so it must be replaced.

Googling SE Compensator replacement should deliver several photo series of home replacements along with instructions. The factory instructions which came with my SE comp kit were adequately clear, I have had mine for over 4 years now, also installed on an 08.

I would be a bit worried about JB weld in that application for the plastic pieces. I'm sure it is strong enough to start but over time with repeated heating and cooling cycles and different rates of expansion between the aluminum primary cover, the plastic pieces and the JB Weld itself, that it would eventually crack and fail. That is a 100% intuitive worry, no actual knowledge of expansion rates for any of the materials involved.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell me this. The primary chain goes around and slings primary oil all over everything in the primary. Why do you need a flapper at the top. It ain't gonna get any oil any place the chain ain't gonna throw it.
And where its needed is on the back slider part of the comp sprocket.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the "flapper" catches the oil and directs it where needed.

mike

Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

For some reason, even though oil is flinging around in the primary, it somehow does not seem to get enough into the hub of the older SE compensator sprocket and they start galling and wear out. That oil directer puts it right into the center of the hub, with those 6 oil feed holes feeding it right into the hub.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the "flapper" catches the oil and directs it where needed.

mike
That is what the dealer told me.
This is a Update of a update.
Its needed on the back side of the comp sprocket next to the stator slide cam.
How is it gonna get it there when the primary chain throws it all over that ?

And why did they have to go from a Bolt to a #70 Torx ?

I was told by a lot of the Big boys Not to jump on it.
To wait.
I have the 11-12-13 model Screaming eagle comp Sprocket

Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is what your '08 compensator looks like

And here is what the new and improved compensator looks like installed

Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,293 Likes on 1,585 Posts

My 10 Road King is getting a new compensator installed right now.

Having the Screaming Eagle "Premium" upgrade done.

My understanding is this,

on 09 and 10s the compensator was downsized, causing failure issues.

The fix on the 11s, 12s, and 13s was to use the Screaming Eagle Comp.

On the 2014, this compensator has had oil channels added and is called the Screaming Eagle "Plus" compensator.

An additional redesign has now been done, and the "Plus" has been superseded by a new Screaming Eagle "Premium"

The flapper slows the oil down enough to be better utilized by the new oil channels.

I ain't a mechanic, so don't shoot me if I'm not correct.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
For some reason, even though oil is flinging around in the primary, it somehow does not seem to get enough into the hub of the older SE compensator sprocket and they start galling and wear out. That oil directer puts it right into the center of the hub, with those 6 oil feed holes feeding it right into the hub.
I'm gonna sit back and wait on this update. My bike is running great.

Sure do like your Electra Glide Standard.
I had a 08 model
Put a Supertrapp supermeg 2in1 pipe on it. Thunder-Max.
High flow air kit and did a 103 to it.
Great running bike.

Wound up puttin a Tourpack on it. Liked it even more.

Quick Reply: New SE compensator for 2014