Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SE compensator for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:53 AM
lewain
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guntoter
If anyone is looking for a place to buy the special Harley adhesive for attaching the slinger, Adventure Harley Davidson http://www.adventureharley.com/parts-accessories sells it. Just got my adhesive yesterday from them. No instructions with it, but it appears it has a different sort of "cap" that you twist off and put one of the applicator tips (4 included) on by also twisting it on. Will need the caulk gun adapter that Harley sells to be able to use it in a caulk gun, as designed.

I checked Lakeshore and Kutter and neither sell the adhesive separate. Adventure you pay full price, however if you buy over $50 its free shipping, and no tax out of state. Was worth it to me just to get the adhesive before H-D stops it being sold altogether.
Thanks Guntoter, I am going to order today. In the decription it appears that it comes with the caulk gun adapter.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Retrop
Call me a little bit skeptical on this "new & improved" compensator assembly. Harley has known about the lack of lubrication for a good many years. As a result they have come up with (as of 2014 models) 3 separate improved versions. Each was supposed to alleviate the previous lack of lubrication in earlier versions. The first couple of them didn't do anything except remove money from my wallet and transfer it into the coffers of the MOCO and the local stealer. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me 2 or 3 times, shame on me.

Experience has taught me that it is too early to tell if they really have fixed this or this is just another futile shot in the dark by their inexperienced engineering dept. I'll bet they farmed this out to somebody out of house to fix. This ain't the moon rover guys, its just a few pieces of metal that gall due to lack of oil. How many years should it take to get it right?
Actually, I believe they copied the technology of GMR's CompenSaver.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 AM
lewain
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lewain
Thanks Guntoter, I am going to order today. In the decription it appears that it comes with the caulk gun adapter.
Went to order and it was not in stock. So, I did a google search for "oil proof epoxy". There seems to be alot of different types out there for less money. And as I stated before and used before JB Weld will work.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Went to order and it was not in stock. So, I did a google search for "oil proof epoxy". There seems to be alot of different types out there for less money. And as I stated before and used before JB Weld will work.
It does not come with the caulk gun adapter, and it was out of stock when I ordered too, but I had it in less than 2 weeks.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Fogg
Actually, I believe they copied the technology of GMR's CompenSaver.
Yup. Like copying the Baker +1 oil pan.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the compensator which is the 11-12-13 model went out.
Was making a noise when you tried to crank it up.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The newest Compensator is totally redesigned. It has more oil Holes in it go help get more Oil to all the moving parts. The compensator was also changed.

The trough on the outer primary was also added.

Was also told by the HD mechanic to not tie strap down the Primary compensator, Nor to pry it in place.
To completely back off on it. The teeth that mesh together should not even be together.
Put it in place and do not adjust itl.
let it adjust itself.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Adhesion in the presence of oil is just half the issue. The adhesive must withstand temps upward to 250 to maybe even 300 without failing.

I'm with dickey on this one. A half *** attempt to appear to be addressing a problem. Regardless of the new oil passages in the new unit, I am puzzled how the oil will flow against the forces of centrifugal force.

I am guessing that the dyna beads inventors designed this for harley. They seem to be the only ones on the planet to be able to counter the laws of physics.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:14 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
The newest Compensator is totally redesigned. It has more oil Holes in it go help get more Oil to all the moving parts. The compensator was also changed.

The trough on the outer primary was also added.

Was also told by the HD mechanic to not tie strap down the Primary compensator, Nor to pry it in place.
To completely back off on it. The teeth that mesh together should not even be together.
Put it in place and do not adjust itl.
let it adjust itself.
There's no adjustment to be made..You bolt it in with the torque spec and that's it...If it does not slide on the shaft easily and you have to pry it on, there's a problem. As far as strapping it down???? Not sure what the "tech" was telling you or maybe I'm not understanding what your saying....

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree HDV, what he said makes no sense to me either.

Quick Reply: New SE compensator for 2014