Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing 2014 fork lowers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I would guess the fork seals are going to be similar to previous models, at least in the installation. For that you will need a seal driver that wraps around the tube for you to slide hammer the new seal and spacer back into the lowers when you reassemble. I would be very hesitant to install the seals then try to slide the tube down into the lowers. A very good chance of tearing a seal while doing that. Then you get to do it all over again.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
They need to come off. When reassembling you have to bottom the fork out to adjust the fork oil level properly. The fairing or ignition switch doesn't even need to come off on the new bikes (just the switch cover). A lot easier job then it used to be. Just loosen 3 allen head screws on the trees and they will slide right out. You will need a 19mm allen socket to remove the fork cap once the forks are off the bike I cant remember but I think it was a 12mm allen (extended) that holds the lowers on from the bottom.

I am getting ready to put the chrome upper/lowers on my 14 Trike and I have the service manual and have read up on removing the complete fork tube as you suggested. I have a question about reinstallation when done. The shop manual says there is a measurement that needs to be checked when installing the forks into the triple tree, I guess to make sure they are not two high? I have done this job on an older touring Harley that I had and there never was a question about reassembly height. Another difference with the 14 is that the top cap on the fork does not need to be removed to remove the forks, only the two pinch bolts on the triple tree on each side.
If you have done this or if anyone on this site has done this on a 14 any help clearing this up would be great.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by scuba1954
I am getting ready to put the chrome upper/lowers on my 14 Trike and I have the service manual and have read up on removing the complete fork tube as you suggested. I have a question about reinstallation when done. The shop manual says there is a measurement that needs to be checked when installing the forks into the triple tree, I guess to make sure they are not two high? I have done this job on an older touring Harley that I had and there never was a question about reassembly height. Another difference with the 14 is that the top cap on the fork does not need to be removed to remove the forks, only the two pinch bolts on the triple tree on each side.
If you have done this or if anyone on this site has done this on a 14 any help clearing this up would be great.
Yes you are correct about not installing them to high, the top of the fork tube can be pushed through the top over 1-inch unlike previous years. They should actually just barely go through the top clamp. Just take a good look at it and maybe take a close up picture before dis assembly and you'll be fine.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my trike apart the other day to put in a new color matched fairing and I took a pic of the front of the bike. This photo shows just how much above the upper triple tree my forks extend now. Guess I will take a set of digital calipers and measure how far up they sit.