Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Wobble… What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013 | 04:25 PM
Hessmonster
|
Cruiser
Default Bagger Wobble… What do I do?

I hear a lot of discussion about bagger wobble. I've never had it happen to me, but if it does what are you supposed to do? Hit the rear break, jump on the throttle, or just bail off and hope for the best?

Thanks for the advise.

Old 12-12-2013 | 04:36 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

The wobble most people are referring to is a rear wobble in a relatively high speed, sweeping turn. I'd slow down if it happened to me...and be very careful with the rear brake in a curve.

Old 12-12-2013 | 04:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Its much less of a problem on the 09-up bikes, subtle at best and I've never had a problem. So ride on and fret not, or get a True Track if you really need the reassurance.

Old 12-12-2013 | 05:21 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't touch the brakes, wouldn't dump the throttle; I would back off the throttle slowly though, it will settle down at least that's been my experience. Like said above the only time I can make it happen is in high speed sweepers. I usually am 20mph or better over the posted speed limit (btw the posted speed for around here is usually 75mph) when it occurs. I've felt the effects (wobble-weave) on my 09 Road King and my current 11 Limited, for the most part if ridden reasonably it will most likely never happen. IMHO

Old 12-12-2013 | 05:32 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Sell that bike. That's what I did. I ride fast and even after installing a truetrack, it would still do the wobble on high speed sweepers. It was a 2007 SG.

Old 12-12-2013 | 05:44 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

I will be installing an Alloy Art 09TS-1 stabilizer in the Spring when I get my bike out of storage. Great reviews and can be had for around $135 in chrome or $125 in black. I also have some new Progressive 412s to put on too.

Old 12-12-2013 | 06:18 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

I felt it on my 07. You get the feeling that you do not want to go any faster. Just roll off the throttle a bit, and the bike gets right back into the groove.

On my 12, it has been rock solid at speeds the 07 would never go. Much better, but I get the feeling that even this bike would reach a speed where you no longer were in that comfy zone.

You get plenty of warning of something feeling uncomfortable. It depends on a lot of variables, but for the most part it is a non issue unless you are way above the posted limits and on a curving road.

Same on most bikes, when you feel like you are approaching the limit, the best thing to do is just roll off the throttle till it feels like you are in total control again.

Old 12-12-2013 | 06:27 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I've had various bikes suffer the wobbles before (you haven't felt wobble until you've had an old vetter on spaghetti noodle tubes hanging off the front of a bike). In my experience, if I get wobbling in a turn, hold on tight and finish the turn, then slow it down to dampen the wobbles. High speed wobbles while going straight will build quickly and to wicked levels, drop the speed quickly. Get something like wobbles from hitting a train track at an angle, and I'll hit the brakes hard before it becomes a tank slapped, but only when I'm clear of the tracks! And don't confuse gentle wobbles that aren't a threat, like those you get on a mesh bridge say. For those, relax and gently hang on, it'll pass.

Old 12-12-2013 | 06:30 PM
wlibert
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EricD10563
for the most part if ridden reasonably it will most likely never happen. IMHO
+1, these are touring bikes not crotch rockets.

Last edited by wlibert; 12-12-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2013 | 06:40 PM
118of1050
Cruiser

There are several types of "wobble." Most are caused by excessive speed. As a police motor officer instructor, I would share this with the troops: As a general rule slowly release the throttle and do not apply the brakes. If you're in a curve, release the throttle and gently upright the bike before you drop off due to the throttle being released.

In cases of front wheel wobble, roll the throttle off, lean your chest forward and down over the tank to transfer more weight to the front end. This is a bit awkward to do but it is very effective. Most of the time just rolling off the throttle will usually get the handlebars to stop wobbling. I've heard of extreme cases where the bars go from lock out to lock out, just about slamming the tank.

It is definitely an adrenaline rush when it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Bagger Wobble… What do I do?