Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Wobble… What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013 | 06:44 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlibert
+1, these are touring bikes not crotch rockets.
Oh now the riding monitors come out to tell us how to ride the bikes WE pay for. Anything else you types want to chime in on how the rest of us should act or do?

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:07 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wlibert
+1, these are touring bikes not crotch rockets.
I'll call bullshit on this. The one time it happened to me, on my 08, I was doing 72 mph (in a 70 mph zone) on a long sweeping left curve. Felt like my bike broke in half right behind the seat. I managed to back off the throttle, and get over on the shoulder. I installed a Bagger Brace the next day, and have never had it happen again.

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:08 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Oh now the riding monitors come out to tell us how to ride the bikes WE pay for. Anything else you types want to chime in on how the rest of us should act or do?
You can do what you want of course, but its a little odd to complain that your Corolla isnt a Ferrari.

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:17 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
You can do what you want of course, but its a little odd to complain that your Corolla isnt a Ferrari.
Actually the op asked IF it happened , how to handle it.

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:17 PM
campos
Tourer

Originally Posted by stro1965
The wobble most people are referring to is a rear wobble in a relatively high speed, sweeping turn. I'd slow down if it happened to me...and be very careful with the rear brake in a curve.
I thought the wobble was more of a front end wobble hence the improvement to the 2014 forks. I know when I ride aggressive my front end has an uncomfortable wobble

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:23 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I felt it a few times in The NC hills riding very hard.... Increased my rear shock pressure and changed my fork oil to SE extra heavy weight weight oil and Voila....Better tires also... Elite III or now the Commander II...

Old 12-12-2013 | 07:28 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain

Roll off throttle and if in a turn, and have room then upright the bike.

Bought my '09: 14k miles on it, ohlins rear shocks, riccor and racetech front forks, tightened steering stem... Put 2k more miles on it and noticed the rear tire was feathered and started to wobble in long sweeper turns. Replaced the tires with elites and put another 7k miles on it and noticed the tire cupping again along with wobbles in sweeper turns, installed the Alloy Art brace. The wobble lessened with the brace installed. 3k miles later and the brace was binding and the heim joints were tight, and the wobble returned. Installed the GlidePro kit, and the brace returned to its original loose position and wobbles were lessened and possibly are more controlled. Thinking once I replace the feathered rear tire that the wobbles will dissapear... (BTW: all this is faster than posted speed limits.)

Last edited by Sc0-; 12-12-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2013 | 08:24 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a Progressive Touring Link in the garage but have yet to install it, got it for my 09 but it will fit my 11; I think I might be slowing down since I've not felt the need to install it.

Old 12-12-2013 | 08:27 PM
118of1050
Cruiser
Lightbulb Front wobble vs. Rear

Just a thought on the rear... I've never experienced a rear wobble. I have felt and heard others complain about the tracking of the rear end on late model baggers. That feeling someone described as your bone breaking in half right behind the seat... I describe it as it feels line you have rear wheel steering and someone turned it without you knowing. It is an UNSAFE and UNSTABLE feeling. I've had it happen on several RK models from 06-up. One of my buddies who had it real bad at all speeds installed a Tru-Trac on his RK and is was like a different bike!

Me personally, I wouldn't describe that sloppy feeling in the rear (lol, that just sounds wrong on so many levels!!! Lol!!!) as a wobble. It's feels more like a sway or like riding on a flattened tire...

Originally Posted by 118of1050
There are several types of "wobble." Most are caused by excessive speed. As a police motor officer instructor, I would share this with the troops: As a general rule slowly release the throttle and do not apply the brakes. If you're in a curve, release the throttle and gently upright the bike before you drop off due to the throttle being released.

In cases of front wheel wobble, roll the throttle off, lean your chest forward and down over the tank to transfer more weight to the front end. This is a bit awkward to do but it is very effective. Most of the time just rolling off the throttle will usually get the handlebars to stop wobbling. I've heard of extreme cases where the bars go from lock out to lock out, just about slamming the tank.

It is definitely an adrenaline rush when it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-13-2013 | 04:47 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

My best advice is first and foremost, don't panic. Do what should come naturally, loosen your grip on the bars, and roll off the throttle. People have died because they panicked. Remember that YOU are in control. Trying to overpower the bike with your own strength will not work. Just try to relax and ride it out. Lots of good products available to remedy the wobble should you experience it.

Quick Reply: Bagger Wobble… What do I do?