Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket radio and rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio and rain

I realize that there's audio section on this forum but it seems that you get more response/replies here so I'm posting it here.
I picked up an amp and BT 7.1 speakers for a great price recently.
I cannot decide if I wanna change the head unit to aftermarket one. The main reason is that we get a lot of rain in the monsoon season here (northern AZ). My stock radio has been very reliable even after sitting in a parking lot in a HEAVY rain. I don't wanna upgrade to aftermarket unit only to find out it wouldn't have to be worrying about the radio going bad due to rain.
I'd appreciate opinions from those who have aftermarket radio AND experienced heavy rain.

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fjoh
I realize that there's audio section on this forum but it seems that you get more response/replies here so I'm posting it here.
I picked up an amp and BT 7.1 speakers for a great price recently.
I cannot decide if I wanna change the head unit to aftermarket one. The main reason is that we get a lot of rain in the monsoon season here (northern AZ). My stock radio has been very reliable even after sitting in a parking lot in a HEAVY rain. I don't wanna upgrade to aftermarket unit only to find out it wouldn't have to be worrying about the radio going bad due to rain.
I'd appreciate opinions from those who have aftermarket radio AND experienced heavy rain.

Thank you in advance!
If you're worried about the radio getting wet or damp, look at marine radios.... just the environment they are made for. Have always had the stock units on my bikes, but have owned many boats used in salt water and never had a marine head unit give me any problems.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get a raincover for it. Biketronics has a basic one, but V-Twin audio has one with a gasket all the way around it that seems to seal it pretty well.