Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer will only install SE Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Dealer will only install SE Cams

I purchased a 7 year extended warranty with my 2013 FLHTK. I had this crazy idea that the bike was going to run great without any modifications. Well my perfect world came crashing down when I discovered how hot the bike ran as well as a ping that drives me nuts. My plan was to replace the header pipe and mufflers with S&S Power Tune Duals along with S&S Tapered Quiet Tour Mufflers along with a stealth air cleaner and S/E Race Tuner. Then I started reading about cams. The 255 looks good but came to the conclusion that the 57H is better. Then I find out my dealer will not install anything but S/E internal engine parts.

Do I simply cave to their limitations?

Should I skip the cam change?

Did I make a mistake getting the extended warranty?

I plan on owning the bike for at least five years and riding 15K per year.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably are required to stay with Harley parts to keep your warranty intact. The 255 cams with a good tune would cool and power you well in the touring world.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 143 Likes on 90 Posts

My Dealer installed the 57H for me, never said a word about warranty.

Just so you know, there will be a tapping noise coming from the airbox.
It is normal with the 57H Cam (So i am told)

Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just FYI, they can not void your warranty or deny coverage simply because you used or did not use a certain part. I would refer you to the Magnuson-Moss Act.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 AM
stan60
Tourer

The MoCo would be responsible for proving that whatever aftermarket part that is used, actually caused whatever failure that might have occurred. That goes all the way to oil, filters, whatever may not be original equipment or an authorized HD part.

If you have a failure that is not cam related, there is no question that your warranty covers. If you do have failure that could be cam related, the proof lies on them to prove that is your cam of choice that was the problem before they can deny you coverage.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree 57s are a great choice in a stage 1 103. But if ya have to stay with SE, 204s aren't an awful choice (like 255s would be). A thinner head gasket and high ratio rockers would make 204s better. Cams are your next step and will make a big performance difference, go for it!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by stan60
The MoCo would be responsible for proving that whatever aftermarket part that is used, actually caused whatever failure that might have occurred. That goes all the way to oil, filters, whatever may not be original equipment or an authorized HD part.

If you have a failure that is not cam related, there is no question that your warranty covers. If you do have failure that could be cam related, the proof lies on them to prove that is your cam of choice that was the problem before they can deny you coverage.
No, not really.

With very few exceptions, aftermarket cams are sold for off-road use only. Using one on a street-ridden bike, aside from the federal emissions law issues, will absolutely render your power train warranty worthless.

Your warranty covers your stock bike. Start messing with it, you put your warranty at risk.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have any other dealer choices? Maybe another one will have a different view.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM
stan60
Tourer

Originally Posted by '05Train
No, not really.

With very few exceptions, aftermarket cams are sold for off-road use only. Using one on a street-ridden bike, aside from the federal emissions law issues, will absolutely render your power train warranty worthless.

Your warranty covers your stock bike. Start messing with it, you put your warranty at risk.
Using this logic, do absolutely nothing to your bike! As soon as you ride off of the lot with those shiny new true dual headers and slipons, your warranty is null and void. I don't think so......I haven't seen a list yet that shows what is and what is not the stuff that will void a warranty, other than proof that it was the "aftermarket" part that caused the failure.

Again, I refer you to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Keep in mind, nobody said that if the stuff hits the fan that there won't be fight, but this is definitely in the consumers corner.

And remember, opinions are like a**holes and elbows, everybody has at least one.

Do whatever it is that you want, it's yours! Good luck to ya! I'm out.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Seabrook NH, being from NH I would have to say no other choices without a hell of a drive. I would go with the SE 204's if I had a warranty to worry about. If money was tight I would find a used set of 255's for like $100 and have the dealer install those, no way I would buy new 255's with all the like new take offs floating around!

Quick Reply: Dealer will only install SE Cams