Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer will only install SE Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

I maybe a little late.

There are some really good points already mention. Ultranutz, sketch, 05 train and others nailed it.

If you have a GOOD relationship with your dealer, talk with a different service writer. They CANT tell you what they will only put on YOUR bike. If they are that ****, run as fast as you can to the next dealer or Indy.

Like others have said, the best and easiest would be to do a stage 1.
Go with a air filter change, Fullsac or Fuel Moto headers (rid the cat) and slip on and a Real turner. With out a doubt, TTS MASTERTUNE Turner would be at the top of the list. (Steve Cole was the designer of the original SE turner, till the MoCo wanted more control and money) Both Fullsac & Fuel Moto already have proven tuned maps that are easy to install. (As you may know already, Fuel Moto doesn't use the TTS, but has good maps for the PV)

Once upgraded, ride it and then decide if you want to go forward.

FWIW,

I went this same route with a Fullsac sleeper stage 1 sleeper kit with my 110", and it was a night and day difference.

However... I knew that I would eventually go with the Fullsac Stage II sleeper kit. I found some Andrews 54H cams (57's weren't out then) and held on to them for a couple of years. Since I was going into the engine to replace lifters,cam plate, high volume oil pump, etc, etc, it was a perfect time to upgrade the cams.

And I still have ESP. till 2016, work was done at my local dealer, bike is more of a blast to run, and pulls much, much more.

Your bike, your decision period.

Good luck,

YB

Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by stan60
Just FYI, they can not void your warranty or deny coverage simply because you used or did not use a certain part. I would refer you to the Magnuson-Moss Act.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Originally Posted by stan60
The MoCo would be responsible for proving that whatever aftermarket part that is used, actually caused whatever failure that might have occurred. That goes all the way to oil, filters, whatever may not be original equipment or an authorized HD part.

If you have a failure that is not cam related, there is no question that your warranty covers. If you do have failure that could be cam related, the proof lies on them to prove that is your cam of choice that was the problem before they can deny you coverage.
Quoting the Magnuson-Moss Act will get you nowhere in a situation like this.
That act was intended to allow you to use aftermarket parts as you know, but those part still need to be the same spec as the factory part it is replacing.
Think oil, oil filters, air filters and other replacement parts.

If you start modifying something like a cam and use a higher performance spec cam, the factory has every right to not warranty any damage.
Then people will say "They have to prove the cam caused it".
Well guess what? As soon as the cam specs are found to not be the same as the factory cam, that is all the proof they need.

They can deny coverage anytime they want.
If you want to fight it, of course you can. But you will have to take them to court.
Guess who will run out of money first?
You can't just say "Magnuson Moss Act" and expect them to roll over and pay your claim.
And nobody will force them to pay without a court fight.

Yes, you might win. But if you have modified your engine using non factory spec parts, your chances are very slim.

Originally Posted by '05Train
No, not really.

With very few exceptions, aftermarket cams are sold for off-road use only. Using one on a street-ridden bike, aside from the federal emissions law issues, will absolutely render your power train warranty worthless.

Your warranty covers your stock bike. Start messing with it, you put your warranty at risk.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Are we talking about the factory warranty or the extended service agreement (that in fact is not a warranty and is not issued by Harley but issued by an insurance company that pays Harley for the licensing and trademark use). And can come with it's own set of rules that Magnuson Moss can't touch.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
FR2323
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 AM
FR2323
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most dealers will cover the warranty as long as they sell u the parts and install no matter if its a aftermarket or not.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

question is how many times is what skratch said in post 40 going to be repeated and agreed on by others.

Sometimes I wonder if people really read the thread or just read the OP

Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks to all of you for your help. I have decided to simply go with the stage 1 upgrade and ride it for one season. Hopefully the S&S quiet tour tapered mufflers, S&S power tune duals, A/C and SERT along with a great tune on the dyno will give me the results I am looking for. (At least for now).

Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Thanks to all of you for your help. I have decided to simply go with the stage 1 upgrade and ride it for one season. Hopefully the S&S quiet tour tapered mufflers, S&S power tune duals, A/C and SERT along with a great tune on the dyno will give me the results I am looking for. (At least for now).
Man, I think you'll be a lot happier if you'd install a set of 204 cams. This is not a big deal, dealers do it every day and cover the warranty. That's no reason what so-ever not to put in cams. Bottom line on the warranty is it's as good as your dealer wants it to be period. If the dealer want cover it then another one will.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,118 Likes on 3,656 Posts

You will feel a good improvement with the 255 and the bike won't be a slouch, you can even look at the 259 with a different gasket... Nothing wrong with HD cams. Your dealer is being a douche...Were you talking to the Service Manager or the Parts counter clerk? If parts counter then walk your *** back to the service dept. and talk to the Mgr...If you don't like what you hear go somewhere else...My deal knew i had installed a Andrews 26h in my 07 and never denied any warranty work on my bike...Of course none of the work was ever part of my cams install...

Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

In my experience, having the dealer do any performance work on your bike is about equal to doing it yourself. They may have all the special tools, jigs and tech manuals, but for the true talent needed to put a good, reliable bike back on the street, they just haven't proved that to me.
A H-D dealer is the last place I would take a bike for a dyno tune. Heck, I would go to Sears auto service before I would ever go back to a H-D for a dyno. And the 20% off, yeah, guess how long they would run it on the dyno to make up for that 20% off. They will get their money and you will get a **** poor performing bike.
Find and reputable indy to do your motor work. Leave the warranty work, i.e. battery replacement, radio replacement to the H-D service shop and nothing else. Heck, even their oil changes are way over charged and half of the work I have heard about has been lacking.
Did I mention to find a reputable indy for your motor work?

Quick Reply: Dealer will only install SE Cams