Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer will only install SE Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I love reading these little debates. The bottom line is quite simply if you want aftermarket parts on your internal components, you run a significant risk that if things go south your warranty will be voided. If you can't live with that, go with HD parts. How hard is that? Of course you can fight the MoCo legally as to whether they have the right to void your warranty, but how deep are your pockets for legal fees vs. the MoCo? Case closed.
Absolutely correct. If you are worried about being covered, stay HD. Stay stock. If in fact you really want to step outside the box, grow a pair and go for it. Simple choice. No amount of time or money is going to be worth it to fight MOCO IMO. Don't put yourself in that position if you don't have funds or the stomach to deal with the consequences. My friends call me nuts for ripping into my 12 rkc to do a 107. I'm perfectly aware I have voided my warranty. No Moss Magnuson crap gonna bail me out. If I break it , I know it's my problem and I'll fix it. Bottom line the dealers and MOCO can outlast you and outspend you... Period. Again JMHO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
one thing to consider. your factory warranty runs for 2 years. the magnusson moss warranty act covers that. when your factory warranty expires, and you are being covered under the esp, then all bets are off. it is not a warranty, it is a service plan, aka an insurance policy and they can deny coverage for whatever reason floats their boat and mag-moss won't mean a hill of beans then.
Excellent point skratch!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by XARAN
per the SE catalog SE 254e are "race only"

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/48

My ol' bike runs pretty good (especially with a razor sharp TTS Wizard's tune ,) but I wouldn't consider it "race only."

After all.... it's got really good street manors.

Beav

Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beav

My ol' bike runs pretty good (especially with a razor sharp TTS Wizard's tune ,) but I wouldn't consider it "race only."

After all.... it's got really good street manors.

Beav
you don't but the EPA does.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

A lot of people quote the Magnuson-Moss Act to protect you from harley. Let me ask a question: When the Harley inspector says your engine repair will not be covered because you have an aftermarket product that caused the problem, what are you going to do?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't be afraid of the se255 they have huge low end torque and are lots of fun.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

By the way, magnuson-moss doesn't apply to a VSA Vehicle Service Agreement. A VSA is a service agreement and is not protected. Any listed exclusions apply.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by beammeup
A lot of people quote the Magnuson-Moss Act to protect you from harley. Let me ask a question: When the Harley inspector says your engine repair will not be covered because you have an aftermarket product that caused the problem, what are you going to do?
I agree to a certain extent. HD as with any other vehicle manufacturer will do what they need to do to protect themselves in situations where obvious damage is done to one or more components by another component, especially when the word aftermarket is used in that situation. With that said however I have heard a TON more favorable stories where the MOCO was called in for inspection and the resolve went the way of the owner than I've heard go the other way. A lot of that has to do with the dealer and it's techs. If you've got a tech/service manager that's a total a$$wipe then you can pretty much forget it. This is why it's to your advantage to take the time to pick your dealer wisely even if you have to drive an extra 100 miles to make your purchase and more importantly to then slide into your chosen dealership once a month or once every couple of months with things like kolaches and donuts just for the hell of it. Not when your bike is in being serviced. You'd be surprised how far this kind of gesture goes towards getting "friendly" with the people that will help determine the outcome of your situation. I've heard of situations where techs will literally remove a known aftermarket part that caused another issue, set it aside and then when the moco drops in to inspect that issue, genuine HD parts were all laid out on the table.

Bottom line is treat your dealer right and they'll take care of you, IMHO.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
This is why it's to your advantage to take the time to pick your dealer wisely even if you have to drive an extra 100 miles to make your purchase and more importantly to then slide into your chosen dealership once a month or once every couple of months with things like kolaches and donuts just for the hell of it. Not when your bike is in being serviced. You'd be surprised how far this kind of gesture goes towards getting "friendly" with the people that will help determine the outcome of your situation. I've heard of situations where techs will literally remove a known aftermarket part that caused another issue, set it aside and then when the moco drops in to inspect that issue, genuine HD parts were all laid out on the table.

Bottom line is treat your dealer right and they'll take care of you, IMHO.

Nail hit DIRECTLY on the head! I do "all" of my upgrades, and "most" of my maintenance. I keep good rubber on my bike, and have one dealership in particular that performs the things I don't wanna bother with... tires, brake fluid flush, etc.

A loose shift lever @ the trans netted me (under warranty) a chrome inner primary cover installed for cost of the part... labor was "covered."

I've also been known to "throw a bone" to the tech who performed the work...

I certainly can "become an azz" if warranted, but don't walk in that way.

I've got to say... they've done me right!

Beav

Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beav
I certainly can "become an azz" if warranted

nope I don't believe it!

Quick Reply: Dealer will only install SE Cams